Friday, May 3, 2013

Procrastination Station

This train station has many people flowing in.
Sadly, fewer leave.
Credit: MS Word Clip Art
It's Procrastination Station where the ticket taker shouts, "All aboard!" All. Day. Long.

You know why? Because some waited to get their tickets and they're in the very long line that they KNEW would be long if they waited too long. Others waited until the very last moment to look for their tickets only to realize they don't know WHAT they did with them. Most others wander around the station trying to figure out WHY they're there at all.

Where does the train for Procrastination Station go? To more procrastination...when it finally gets people on it to go anywhere at all.

It's Procrastination Station, folks. I've been trudging around the station putting things off, pushing back self-imposed deadlines and baking cupcakes with Chipmunk. That last part was fun - and tasty - but I've been finding lots of other things to do, besides write.

So, I'm pushing through this crowd and making my way to the exit, hooking a left at Get'er Done Ave and DOING THIS!

First step is stepping back. Doing a bit of social media meditation for a few weeks. I'll still smile or Like something here or there.

For those I've already promised a spot or to guest blog, that's happening, of course, but it will be a couple of weeks before I can get things back into heavy rotation, blogging, commenting and doing more with Facebook and Twitter.

What about you folks? Have you found yourself in Procrastination Station before?

22 comments:

  1. Yes but I'm doing my best to avoid being stuck there again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Facing editorial revisions is the #1 thing that leaves me stuck in Procrastination Station, and that seems odd, because normally I tell everyone that I like revision better than drafting. And that's true.

    When I'm making revisions for me.

    It's different when I have an editorial letter from someone else and revisions to make to satisfy this person. This overwhelming sense of inadequacy rises from the depths, this sense of: I won't be able to do it. I won't be able to make these changes and have them be any good.

    Luckily, they only last until I actually sit down and get started. Then, of course, I find I CAN make the changes -- and really like them, too.

    Unfortunately, I find myself feeling the same way the next day. Stupid, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stupid? Heck no. Sounds just about right.

      Delete
  3. About the only thing I procrastinate about is doing the dishes. LOL.

    I'm pretty focused on everything else. As long as I keep family my first priority, I'll find a way to fit everything else in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I grow up, I'll have to work on being more like this :-)

      Delete
  4. Sure! I try not to linger though.
    May will be really busy online for me but I'll be taking a break near the end of the month.
    Enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not much of a procrastinator except when it comes to unpleasant housework jobs like cleaning out my one and only closet, which, as you may imagine, doesn't take long to turn into a nightmare! However, I have lots of other faults :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got a deadline of June 1st to finish Killer Stilettos.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been there all my life, now I'm on and off but the time I spend there is getting lesser, thank God for that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a permanent bedroll stashed in the corner. Ooh, look! Shiny!

    Good luck taking the speedboat out of there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bravo to you, Angela, for taking the time you need to write! I wish I was brave enough to take a social media break but I'm afraid everyone will go find better things to do and never come back! And baking cupcakes with Chipmunk is not procrastination - it's life, and it's the good part of life that you don't want to miss :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Actually, I was going to go to the "Procrastination Station" tomorrow, or the next day or....

    In fact, Angela, I might leave a comment tomorrow or the next day or...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I rented a room there for awhile. Glad you're taking a step back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been doing this for the past 3 weeks. It's worked. I've gotten a lot of work done. Connecting is good, but when it begins to affect our writing, it has to take the back seat. Or we'll have nothing for anyone to read. O_O Enjoy your writing time, but equal this time w/ Chipmunk & cupcake time, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well said! I wonder if they serve coffee at procrastination station, that might help me find the exit:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You deserve a break, Angela. I think we all do! It's funny that a break is only from blogging, because as writers we still have a lot of work to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have Procrastination Station stuck in my head to the tune of Conjunction Junction from Schoolhouse Rock.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think we all go through stages were it is hard to write. I usually try using a timer and sit my butt down for half hour periods or go to a cafe to write for a couple of hours. Or team up with some friends and do 1K1hr sprints.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yes, especially when I can't think of anything to say. I do my best to push myself forward because I know that if I stop, then I might stop for good.
    It's good to have a little break now and again, recharge the batteries etc, but there is always a danger of not doing a thing permanently.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Procrastination Station...LOVE IT. I so won't think of procrastination without it again.

    And, yes, I've found myself wondering around Procrastination Station a few times. Currently, I have too many pans in too many fires to allow myself.

    Hope you find the exit soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. One of our greates queens, Elizabeth Ist was a creative procrastinator. She had an intuitive gift of knowing when to do nothing - to the despair of her more hyperactive councillors.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.