Friday, June 28, 2013

It's time for another episode of Sekrit Project Nuggets.

In our last post, you learned that the MC is Caesimilia 'Case' Mollands, a twelve-year-old girl with a penchant for high-tops and basketball along with a serious crush on Justin Timberlake.

Here's a new nugget: I originally started off with the idea of this being a series involving orphans. But I've got a few stories I've written where the parents are nowhere to be seen because they're dead or missing. Knowing me, I'll be writing more stories with "absent" parents because, well, I can't seem to help myself lol!

For this story, I wanted the MC to have loving parents who were around. Even though her adventure takes her from them, they aren't missing or dead. It felt kind of nice writing this story, knowing that her parents would be there for Case...IF she ever gets back home.

Hmmmm...now getting back home, that's a nugget for another post :-)

Until next time *smiles*


12 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying the unveiling of your secret project. I agree about the parents. A lot of YA books have dead or AWOL parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're enjoying this little series. Hoping it can turn into so much more in the near future :-)

      Delete
  2. Actually, there's a good reason many authors use missing or abusive parents. It forces the child protagonist to fight or figure things out on his own (or with the help of other adults or mentors).

    Though it is kind of nice to have parents who are present and loving if only to see how the child protagonist handles things differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good point, Maria. That's so true. For this MG character, having both her parents is a factor/driving force for certain decisions she makes as well :-)

      Delete
  3. Very interesting nugget and it's nice to have a character with good parents. Until next time Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! You're such a tease. Great meme, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have complete faith that she'll find her way home...won't she?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like having parents around, too. I've taken one or two away in my YA books before, but I've used them in others to make the MC a bit more complicated. Great teasing, Angela. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Angela,

    It seems there's a bit of a "Sekrit" going on and the tease is intriguing. You got some talent and that aint no Sekrit :)

    Have a good weekend, Angela.

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  8. You tease, you! I do hope your MC finds her way home again :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like that the parents are still around. More motivation for her to find a way home.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.