Monday, June 17, 2013

My Case of Fangirling *Squee*

My procrastination has not been without some benefit. One being that instead of writing when I should be writing, I did some reading. One thing I loved sticking my nose into was the Debt Collector series by the one and only Susan Kaye Quinn.

Can I just fangirl for a moment?

*EEEKKK* 

I love Susan's stories! From the Mindjack trilogy to the Debt Collector series, I'm just in awe.


Amazon US
About Delirium
Delirium - EPISODE 1 of the Debt Collector serial. Contains mature content and themes. For young-adult-appropriate thrills, see Susan's bestselling Mindjack series.

What's your life worth on the open market? 
A debt collector can tell you precisely.

Lirium plays the part of the grim reaper well, with his dark trenchcoat, jackboots, and the black marks on his soul that every debt collector carries. He's just in it for his cut, the ten percent of the life energy he collects before he transfers it on to the high potentials, the people who will make the world a better place with their brains, their work, and their lives. That hit of life energy, a bottle of vodka, and a visit from one of Madam Anastazja's sex workers keep him alive, stable, and mostly sane... until he collects again. But when his recovery ritual is disrupted by a sex worker who isn't what she seems, he has to choose between doing an illegal hit for a girl whose story has more holes than his soul or facing the bottle alone--a dark pit he's not sure he'll be able to climb out of again.

Delirium is approximately 12,000 words or 48 pages, and is one of nine episodes in the first season of The Debt Collector serial. This dark and gritty future-noir is about a world where your life-worth is tabulated on the open market and going into debt risks a lot more than your credit rating.


My review:
Delirium delivered. I appreciate the dark and twisted and this gave it to me with a noir/sci-fi flair. Lirium is perfectly flawed and the world Susan creates is one you'd almost want to be in if it weren't scary to consider how much one's life would be worth on an open market *shudder*

I can't wait to read the next episode, which I have in my kindle library. Now back to writing so I can get to the next installment.

Is there a great series you've discovered? Please feel free to tell us about it in the comments.

27 comments:

  1. I've heard nothing but good things about the Debt Collector series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the first installment too. And I really enjoyed it. I'm hoping to read the rest too. Thanks for sharing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Delirium was such a noir yet fun read.

      Delete
  4. Just awesome. Love everything about this series!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only had time to read her first book, but I'm looking forward to the others. Can you give me an extra hour or two a day, Angela?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could, Lee :-) That would be helpful...though still not enough time lol!!!

      Delete
  6. I haven't read it yet. I'm going to look it up on Goodreads. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth the look. Something about that Lirium :-)

      Delete
  7. Thanks so much for the shout-out and review for Debt Collector! You're the best! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Susan. You've done a wonderful job with this series :-)

      Delete
  8. I like film noir and futuristic thrillers so this sounds like one in my interest realm. Haven't followed any series of shorter works that I can think of, though there have been some novel series that I have enjoyed.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're able to enjoy the series. I really love it.

      Delete
  9. I have heard so many great things about this series - I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet the many great things are all true :-)

      Delete
  10. Yay for Susan! It's great to see her doing so well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved Delirium, too! I'm loving the whole series thing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I get the fan-girling! What a great premise! This sounds like a terrific read!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the squeeing! I have to give a shout-out to my SF/F goddess, C.J. Cherryh. Just LOVE her. Will read anything she writes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What I've read of this series so far has ROCKED! I love it and only wish I had more time to read.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.