Monday, June 10, 2013

Sekrit Project Nuggets

I've hinted at my sekrit project here and there, but now I'm going to share some tidbits about it with Sekrit Project Nuggets.

Several months ago, I had a great conversation with my writing bud, Angela Orlowski-Peart. After some e-mail chit-chat back and forth, she and I decided to hop on the phone to help me brainstorm a fairy tale mash up idea that had been plaguing my mind. When I say plaguing, I mean "Me shiny new idea REFUSE to be ignored" kind of plaguing. But I was a little lost in the many possibilities. Having promised a friend to assist in moving in to their new place - and not properly coordinating these two events in my brain's calendar - Angela and I tossed around ideas while I carried knick-knacks, unpacked boxes and survived standing on ladders and talking at the same time lol!

I let the central ideas we came up with marinate, brew and change until I reached a pretty good place with my story idea. No dark and twisted YA for this one, though that was contemplated. I decided to go Middle Grade adventure.

Yeah...Me...writing MG. Enter the reading/researching because no way could I just hop into the story without some sort of direction.

And enter Caesimilia 'Case' Mollands, my main character, a twelve-year-old girl with a penchant for high-tops and basketball along with a serious crush on Justin Timberlake.

That's it for today's nugget. There'll be more to come *smiles*

Please make sure to stop by tomorrow for a SPECIAL post, a cover reveal of the next NEO Chronicles: Characters Revealed installment - ATONE.

What comes to mind when you think of your first kiss?


25 comments:

  1. Awesome that Angela helped you with this. Is the the one I read the query about? If so, it sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Natalie. It is the very same one :-) Glad you enjoyed the query.

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to hear more. Tom boy heroines are always fun.

    When I think of my first kiss, I think of awkwardness! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awkwardness...that sounds about right lol!

      Delete
  3. Great nugget, Angela! And thank goodness you didn't fall of one of those ladders while planning this MG!!! It's amazing what we writers will do to get our hooks in our stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Glad I didn't either. Oh the multi-tasking we'll do :-)

      Delete
  4. Re: first kiss
    I'm with Shelley. It was awkward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad kisses move beyond awkward after the first one.

      Delete
  5. I applaud your multitasking skills of brainstorming and moving house! I would have broken my neck up on a ladder like that :)

    Ref: first kiss
    secretive

    LOL, I just remember him not wanting my parents to catch him. As he was a bit older, aka knew what he was doing, it was a pretty good first kiss :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! How cute for your first kiss :-)

      Delete
  6. Think of it as a story you could read to Chipmunk.
    First kiss? Yes, awkward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chipmunk is part of the inspiration for the character. She, too, enjoys Justin Timberlake lol!

      Delete
  7. I love MG. You'll do a bang up job, Angela. As to the first kiss . . .sloppy comes to mind. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love sekrit projects, how exciting! Hmm, my first kiss, abrupt and sloppy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very exciting. And that first kiss...oh...so we've got awkward and sloppy. Oh dear.

      Delete
  9. Yay! Someone else is venturing into MG too. Congrats and best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sheena-kay. It is definitely a venture, especially when I'm used to YA.

      Delete
  10. Love this little nugget and the brainstorming story, LOL - so when's it coming out?

    My first kiss? Yuck! Blech!*wrinkles nose*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Gwen, unlike my other YA projects, this one is up in the air. I'm doing the *take a breath* query process so it may be a while lol!!1

      Delete
  11. Best of it as *shiny-new-idea* takes shape and the research/writing begins! I love when a new idea begs to be explored!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a wonderful process for shiny new idea to take form.
      *swoon*

      Delete
  12. Sekrit with awesomesauce. :) It's fun to do something new. I actually have an idea for more of a romancy/chic lit idea... Maybe. Why pigeon hole ourselves? If we want to write something different, we should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say write the story that comes to you. This one wouldn't leave me alone...so thus it is written. Hoping it makes it out into the world far sooner than later :-)

      Delete
  13. Ooh congrats, Angela. Look forward to that project:)
    Ah, first kiss: nervous, sloppy and fast..lol

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.