Friday, August 16, 2013

Long Live Reading Variety

I love my paranormal, fantasy, sci-fi, steampunk and so much more. Horror...not so much.
So it is a pleasure to share a few titles of interest
For the fantasy lovers:
Graeme Ing's Ocean of Dust
Lissa, a fourteen-year-old-girl, is snatched from everything she knows, enslaved on a ship that traverses the intriguing ocean of dust.

My thoughts: I loved it! It was such an adventure read. Page after page I wanted more. Graeme Ing delivered with fantastic world building and drew me in with his characterizations.

For the sci-fi lovers:
Follow Craze on a journey from family betrayal to building his own life in the Backworlds.

My thoughts: I heart Craze! He's such an easy character to cheer for, especially given the way things go for him. His journey is much like any new adult starting on their own, except his is forced in a not so wonderful way.

Cherie Reich's Gravity trilogy
Three short stories of how love pulls, like gravity, and is even harder to resist (sci-fi and romance smashed well together)

My thoughts: Each story proved how love is universal. I adored reading each story to see how things would turn out...truly, would love conquer all? Only reading the stories will you find out :-)

For contemporary lovers:
Derinda Love's Today Only
Living life daily can be hard when tragedy is ever present, waiting to strike. But living and loving for Today Only can make life worthwhile.

My thoughts: Have some Kleenex handy. I shed tears of pain, joy, and just because while reading this story. Some things just aren't fair, but love, in this beautiful story, proves stronger than sorrow or self-pity.

These are just a few of the stories I've been cramming into my tight-rope-of-a-schedule. Each one well worth the time spent. And I've got more to get to. So excited about that, too. After all, I am an author, but reading started it all for me.

What are some titles you've finished in the last month or so? Please feel free to share in the comments.

11 comments:

  1. Unfed by Kirsty McKay and finishing up City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. Thanks for sharing these reads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read Mary and Cherie's books - both excellent authors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! Thanks for all of the recommendations, Angela!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recs! I especially love the cover on that first one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks again for reading and reviewing my collection!

    I'm currently reading several books, but I'm really enjoying Heaven and Hellsbane by Paige Cuccaro. Em is such a fun character.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like variety, too! Great suggestions. As to what I'm reading, very odd combination this month: Oliver Twist (yes, strange, but true), A Brief History of Everything (another odd choice for summer) and I'm just going to start Broken.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh good, I was just thinking my reading list wasn't long enough ;)

    Thanks for your insight though, I only had one of these on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
  8. While on vacation, I read (and just finished) The Camelot Inquisition. It's the sort of thing I don't usually read -- non-fiction, and the self-published kind that has repeated grammar and punctuation errors, as well as a rambling structure that jumps and skips and repeats itself.

    Normally, I wouldn't have made it past the first chapter of something so unprofessionally done. BUT, it was addressing a subject I was very interested in (whether or not there is any verifiable evidence about the existence of a real King Arthur) and I had just visited several of the key places that are part of the puzzle.

    I'll talk about it on my blog next week or the week after.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These sound great, Angela! Thanks for sharing...

    I haven't read too much lately, so I do have anything to recommend.., Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the great recommendations! On my way to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've been busy! I've read Gravity and have Backworlds on my list. I've been trying to carve out time to read which isn't always easy - I recently finished the excellent Creep by Jennifer Hillier and have three on the go right now - Dodger by Terry Pratchett, Veronica Roth's Divergent and Rachel Morgan's Faerie Guardian. (All YA interestingly but different genres). It's always great to read a wide range of stuff because there is something to learn from every story.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.