Wednesday, October 23, 2013

What do YOU know about Speculative Fiction Author Ellie Garratt?

Ten Things You May Not Know About Ellie Garratt

Thank you for hosting me, Angela. I'm sending a virtual *hug* your way.
*Hugs back atcha, Ellie!

As a writer, I love having the opportunity to interview fellow writers. I also love it when writers share a little something about themselves outside of their writing life. It takes them from the one-dimensional to the two-dimensional. You get to learn more about what makes them tick. So, today I thought I'd share a few about myself you might not know.

1. I share my birth surname with one of the most famous writers in the world. We also like writing in the same genre.

2. The first story I ever wrote was about an intergalactic Hoover man who cleared space debris. Needless to say, it sucked.

3. William Shatner met me once.

4. I'm an obsessive list writer. It's my top way to procrastinate.

5. I have a crush on Professor Brian Cox, who I think is a modern day Carl Sagan.

6. The first book I fell in love with was The Tales of Olga Da Polga by Michael Bond.

7. I still use Word 2003. I’ve never been able to get on with any later editions.

8. I detest jelly, pineapple, and orange squash.

9. I wrote my first novel on a Brother word processor over 15 years ago. Each chapter took up an entire floppy disc.

10. I wish I had known I wanted to be a writer 20 years ago.
  
So, can you guess which famous author I once shared a surname with? Do you share anything in common with me?


Taking Time and Other Science Fiction Stories

A collection of dark science fiction stories that transport you to different times and worlds, where terror takes hold of your soul and not everything is as it first appears to be.

The future of humanity must be decided in Next Phase. Winning the Planetary Lottery is not as lucky as it first seems in Schrodinger's Gamble. An apocalypse and its aftermath threaten to tear one couple apart in Daiker's Children. In Life As I Know It a reclusive man finds both his heart and home invaded during an alien harvest. In Taking Time a vampire seeking shelter on a distant planet finds himself facing a very different kind of demon, after answering a frontier settlement's plea for help.

Stories range from flash fiction to novelette in length.
  
Book Links

  
The Author 

Ellie Garratt is a science fiction and horror writer. She is a reader, writer, blogger, Trekkie, and would happily die to be an extra in The Walking Dead. Her short stories have been published in anthologies and online. Passing Time: Nine Short Tales of the Strange and Macabre and Taking Time and Other Science Fiction Stories are now available on Kindle.

In early 2014, she will be launching a series of dark science fiction novellas called The Dead Chronicles.


You can find Ellie at: Amazon / Facebook / Goodreads / Twitter Website

29 comments:

  1. Hi Angela,

    Ellie, dear lady, so good to note you on Angela's wonderful site. I'm Taking Time with my comment. Yes and being such an amazing dude, I shall duly take the liberty of sharing this posting. Of course, even on 'Farcebook.'

    William Shatner has told me he feels like the luckiest Canadian ever, eh, to have met you.

    Professor Brian Cox and "things can only get better.." or is it just a "D:Ream"

    You may well have known, deep within your heart, that twenty years ago you did know you wanted to be a writer.

    My best to you both.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. William Shatner feels like the luckiest Canadian? Hehe. That made me smile. And I see you know your Professor! Indeed things CAN only get better.

      Delete
  2. Loved learning more about Elle. And I wish I had known I'd want to be a published author 20 years ago too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The great thing about writing is that their is no age limit, unlike many other professions. I only hope that one day it will be my full time day job!

      Delete
  3. Intergalactic Hoover man? LOL You crack me up! I loved this interview. Awesome, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sheri. It was a truly awful story, but funny to read now.

      Delete
  4. Hi, Angela,

    Nice to know more about Ellie. Love the cover on Taking Time. Lists work for me too.
    She hates Pineapples? Gotta get you a Jamaican variety to try, called Sugar Loaf. Wishing you all the best for the new book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I shall have to try this Sugar Loaf.

      Delete
  5. I'm with you on the squash!
    Someone stole your Hoover man story and used it in Spaceballs I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yucky squash!!

    Good to learn new things about Ellie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I shared Shatner with you. LOL! But I do share your wish of pursuing writing earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love pineapple and any kind if squash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Squash, especially orange, is evil. Should be banned ;)

      Delete
  9. Lovely to learn more about you. I dislike those foods too. I actually dislike many foods. I'm a very picky eater! And I wish I had the confidence to share my writing with others 20 years ago. We've still got several years ahead of us to share with the world with our stories. :)

    Was your surname Bradbury?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Plenty of time ahead of us.

      Nope on Bradbury. I've probably confused you, because I'm featuring my sci-fi book instead of my horror. My birth surname was King. I like to imagine I'm related to Stephen King!

      Delete
  10. I also wish I had known I wanted to be a writer 20 years ago. If only we could go back in time.

    I had a Brother word processor too. At the time I thought it was such an awesome thing, and it was compared to the typewriter. But it's so hard to imagine now.

    Fun to learn more about you, Ellie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have my Brother in the loft. I look at it now and wonder how on earth I got any writing done - I could only see about give lines at a time. Of course before that I had an electric typewriter.

      Delete
  11. Hey, Angela! Loving the new look of your place. And Ellie is awesome! If you haven't read her stuff yet, man ... I just might have to again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww. Thank you, David. You've made my day.

      Delete
  12. I wish I knew I wanted to be a writer 20 years ago, too. So funny about the floppy discs *snort*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems a lot of us discovered the writing dream later in life. I wonder why? Yes. Floppy discs were fun.

      Delete
  13. We both love writing, I knew for along time I wanted to be a writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how I didn't. However, I've always love tell stories. I just never connected telling to writing.

      Delete
  14. The one I share with you El is wishing I'd fallen into writing sooner in life. And I love how you say Bill Shatner met you. : D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems a lot of us fell into writing later in life, rather than sooner.

      William Shatner said he was honoured to meet me. Well, at least how that's how I like to remember it. LOL.

      Delete
  15. Great cover, I'll definitely have to check it out. I completely get, and share, your crush on Professor Cox ;)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.