Thursday, October 24, 2013

Who's Your Hero?

The release of the novel Saving Sam by J.L. Campbell has been timed to coincide with National Heroes’ Day celebrations in Jamaica. Sam, the protagonist finds a hero—or heroine if you like—in his aunt and the mission of this blogfest is to write a maximum of 300 words about someone who has been a source of inspiration. So, Who’s Your Hero?

J.L. Campbell is a proud Jamaican and an award-winning writer, who is always on the lookout for story-making material.
She writes romantic suspense, women's fiction and young adult novels. She is the author of Contraband, Christine's Odyssey, Dissolution, Distraction, Don't Get Mad...Get Even, Giving up the Dream, Kicked to the Kerb, Retribution and Hardware (written under the pen name Jayda McTyson).

She blogs at http://www.joylcampbell.com Feel free to connect with her on Facebook or Twitter or visit her Amazon author page.

***So who is MY hero/heroine***: I'd normally answer something like this with my mother. She expressed, through actions and words, the importance of getting up, getting out and doing better for yourself and those you love one struggling step at a time. But I'd like to spotlight Mrs. Evans, my fourth grade teacher. She was a beautiful woman, soft-spoken at times but knew how to work the volume levels when needed. She identified the reading geek in me, encouraged it to the point that I spent most of my day with my fourth grade class except for reading comprehension, which me a couple of other students spent with a fifth grade class. And she made it a point to make sure I didn't feel like an exception to the stereotypes that lingered - and still do linger and get lived down to much too often - about projects kids, but that my love of reading made me exceptional. Only in recent years have I been able to appreciate that slight differentiation.

8 comments:

  1. Angela,

    Hurray for Mrs. Evans! We writerly types all seem to have someone who encouraged us to do the things we loved at an early age and influenced us along the right path.

    Thanks for sharing with us and for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only there were more teachers like her in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex is right. We need more Mrs. Evans' in our schools.
    Thanks for sharing Angela!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teachers make great heroes. Thanks for sharing Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good teachers are heroes! My sixth grade teacher and my high school lit teachers were huge inspirations! It's also a really nice thing when one can find a hero or mentor within one's own family. My two great aunts stand out--one was an amazing piano player, and the other was a teacher who made her own clothes and owned a farm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good teachers are wonderful. I remember my 5th grade teacher brought me out of my shell and I won the speech contest not only for my school but for the region. He was fantastic. I also adore the teachers at my son's preschool. I'm so happy I got him in there with them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, I think a love of reading does make for an exceptional person. My Sunday school teacher was a great influence, she taught me to question everything, and her influence has stayed with me. Mrs. Welch, I salute you!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.