Friday, March 21, 2014

Confessions of a Working Writer Momma

TGIF!

As a working single mom who writes, Fridays and the weekend mean something a little different.

The work week is filled with hours of playing my part to earn my peon's wages followed by dedicating energy and time to my precious Chipmunk and caring for her needs with activities like helping with homework, preparing/cooking/buying breakfast and dinner (she has lunch during school, thankfully lol!!) plus the other parental things like chatting about school. Then comes the nightly battle/stalling game/shaking-of-my-head that is bedtime.

Then I get to slip into my fantasy world indulging in the passion that brings me so much joy (and anxiety during release days lol!!) for a few hours each evening, with the occasional interruption by my silly Chipmunk who should be asleep lol!

Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays are more like my make up days. Make up for missed sleep. Make up for laundry, dishes and cleaning left undone for a while. Make up for time missed with friends. Make up for me-time - I think you get the point. This requires as much of a balancing act as my work week. I suppose this is where my confession comes in.

Every now and then, I wonder if the sacrifice is worth it. The thought is often brief because I also try to wonder what it would be like if I didn't write. I actually shudder at the though of not writing. I don't mean just typing. But rather, the storytelling and story sharing. Maybe the day will come when my fantasy of writing can become my everyday reality as a career. Until then, I'm holding strong to being a Working Writer Momma, one blessed with a great community of other writers who understand my passion for writing.

Thanks for taking my confession and I hope your weekend is fantastic :-)

15 comments:

  1. I wonder the same thing too. And I can't even squeeze in all the writing you do. But I'd have so much more time if I didn't write and blog. Like you, I come back to the love of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine NOT writing. And it is SO hard to fit everything in.
    Looking forward to my retirement from teaching next year, when I hope to suddenly have not only more time for writing and family,but maybe time for things like exercise. (I hate exercise, so I hope I'm not kidding myself, but if I could drop 5-10 pounds, I would be SO happy.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blogger is letting me post comments again!!

    I think we're often bombarded by internet peer pressure.

    Everyone is different. There will come a time in your life when priorities will change, when Chipmunk won't need you as much, and when new friends enter and leave your life.

    It's all good and it feeds the muses for future books years down the road, in corridors you can't yet see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you and the Chipmunk are making it work. That's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The effort you put into your writing and your daughter are worth it. No guilt on any level.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would say that it is worth it if you are happy. And it seems like you are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know all about those make up days! Guess many of us working moms can relate to the sacrifices you speak of. In terms of personal satisfaction, I think it's worth doing what makes up happy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's hard to write AND be a parent, especially a single parent (I know), but I can't imagine not writing either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you're doing a terrific job! Please, never stop writing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No writing would mean grumpy person.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy your weekend and know that writing is definitely worth it. Also I'm sure your chipmunk makes being a momma worthwhile too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your writing is definitely worth it, Angela! By continuing to write you are getting better all the time, which puts you closer to your dream of having it be your job. In addition, you are modeling such a positive attitude for your Chipmunk - that creativity is crucial, that dreams matter and should be pursued, that you can do anything you want!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is worth it. I have those same days where I feel like chucking the whole thing- especially when my house starts to look like a war zone. And some days I ask myself- if I devoted this much time and energy into a day job- I could probable make much more money. Then I think, wow if I had lots of money I would...write a book. Then I think, crap. I'm already living da dream!

    Writing brings me joy. It soothes my scattered, prone to anxiety soul. When life is crap, it's what makes me feel strong. For that alone, the time spent on it is priceless.

    And honestly, if you think about it- we are teaching our kids to be dream followers and workers. My kids are looking at careers in law and medicine- they aren't limiting their dreams by money and time spent. You know, I never would have done that. As a young girl, I dreamed practical dreams. I've taught my kids to reach higher. You are too.

    Hugs Angie! You will get there!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic post! I completely sympathize. But I agree it's all worth it in the end. You're doing a wonderful job. Not only are your stories great, but you have an awesome, happy daughter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bow to you, my friend, and hats off as well :)

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.