Monday, March 10, 2014

Springing Forward and THE EIGHTH DAY

I bid thee farewell to that one hour lost. I doth enjoyed having thee around and wasn't of a keen mind to lose thee. But the benefit of more sunshine when I get off from work will simply have to placate me lol!!

Speaking of losing or adding time, how about having an extra day in the week? That's exactly the kind of thing brilliant author Dianne Salerni tackles with her MG novel THE EIGHTH DAY.
Here's a description from Goodreads (ADD TO GOODREADS):
In this riveting fantasy adventure, thirteen-year-old Jax Aubrey discovers a secret eighth day with roots tracing back to Arthurian legend. Fans of Percy Jackson will devour this first book in a new series that combines exciting magic and pulse-pounding suspense.

When Jax wakes up to a world without any people in it, he assumes it's the zombie apocalypse. But when he runs into his eighteen-year-old guardian, Riley Pendare, he learns that he's really in the eighth day—an extra day sandwiched between Wednesday and Thursday. Some people—like Jax and Riley—are Transitioners, able to live in all eight days, while others, including Evangeline, the elusive teenage girl who's been hiding in the house next door, exist only on this special day.

And there's a reason Evangeline's hiding. She is a descendant of the powerful wizard Merlin, and there is a group of people who wish to use her in order to destroy the normal seven-day world and all who live in it. Torn between protecting his new friend and saving the entire human race from complete destruction, Jax is faced with an impossible choice. Even with an eighth day, time is running out.

My thoughts:
I'm so glad I had a chance to receive an ARC and read this story. It kept me engaged from the first page to the last.

Jax makes the kind of decisions and mistakes you expect of any thirteen-year-old boy, especially after making one weirded out discovery after another.

There were a few times I wanted to flick Riley on the ear but even he got a pass from me once Dianne wove his back story into the scheme of things.

The mythos is wonderful and I absolutely love it. This is a great novel for both boys and girls and for the MG reader at heart. I wish it a great amount of success when it's released, which I believe is in April 2014.

So, what would YOU do if you had an extra day in the week?

23 comments:

  1. Angela, Thanks so much for the shout out! What a nice surprise this morning (especially since I'm grumbling at getting up for work at 6am when I *know* it's really 5 am). The only thing more appropriate than reading THE EIGHTH DAY on the weekend when you lose an hour would be reading it on the weekend when you GAIN an hour, lol!

    Thanks also for the 5 stars on Goodreads. Woot! I can't wait for April 22, when Jax and his slacker guardian Riley head out into the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Losing that hour is sleep is something I'll be dealing with for a while lol! But it was my pleasure sharing about The Eighth Day at my blog. I really enjoyed it.

      Delete
  2. I would sleep and be a bum. Watch TV and just do nothing. And good luck to Angela!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your extra day plan, Stephen :-)

      Delete
  3. I've heard a lot of great things about that book.
    I hate spring forward...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't mind falling back and getting that extra hour of sleep, but losing it isn't all that great lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool idea. I sure hope my 7-year-old granddaughter likes to read, because I'm piling up the books for her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome, Marlene :-) I hope she will enjoy what you gather for her as well.

      Delete
  6. I've stopped changing my clocks from Daylight Saving Time and just "know" I'm always an hour ahead. So far that's worked. Of course, it drives the rest of the family nuts. :-)

    I'd treat an extra hour like I'd treat an extra dollar. . . in my mind there's no such thing as extra money.

    Here's to Diane's book. It sounds like a great story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how you make it, but if you've got it down pat, then go with the "no change" lol :-)

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a great book. Good luck to Dianne! If I had an extra day, that would be my writing day. Oh to write all day long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine the writing you could get done if you wrote all day long...le sigh. :-)

      Delete
  8. I just really like when we get it back in the fall. lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds terrific, Angela! What a cool premise, and I love anything Arthurian!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The first thought that came to me about the people who want to destroy the world with seven days was "Douche." Seriously you have a special world with one day that only select people can get to. Go enjoy that and leave the rest of the world alone. Anyway I love this idea and might order this book in April off TBD. I pre-ordered three books there already. Whoot! I'm back with paperbacks. Plus myths rock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment cracked me up! I wish I'd thought of having Jax call them "douchebags" for just that reason. Of course, I could never have gotten away with using that word in MG, but it would have been funny!

      Delete
  11. We lose an hour in a couple of weeks. Bah humbug, I say.

    The Eighth Day sounds like my kind of read. The cover art is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Best of luck to Dianne! I hate losing that hour. And when my kids were little, it was so hard to get them to bed on time. I think spring fever is just constant sleep deprivation from going to bed so late!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dianne's book sounds absolutely riveting! Looking forward to reading it. An eighth day? I'd probably be in the same predicament I'm in right now and wish for a 9th day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, an extra day sounds like heaven. :) My lost hour kept growing because I was so dysfunctional, lol
    Congrats and many sales, Dianne!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a cool concept for a story! Love the cover, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the premise for the story and the characters - now we know why Merlin lived so long, right? I'm assuming that 8th dayers don't necessarily age the same as everyone else? or am I wrong in a leap year day with Pirates of Penzance kind of wrong?
    I'm definitely adding it to my TBR shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, this sounds right up the wee beasties' alley. Off to check this out. Thanks for pointing this out Angela.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.