Monday, March 31, 2014

Welcome A. L. Kessler to Publishness-land :-)

*Pssst! Hey, for her blog tour, I've opened my blog to A. L. Kessler to share her thoughts/experiences as an author and to shout out about her newest release, Dance in the Moonlight. Okay, enough from me as I fade into the background. It's all yours, A. L.*

First off I want to thank Angela Brown for having me on her blog today to help celebrate the release of Dance in the Moonlight (you're mighty welcome!). I’m here today to talk a little bit about the challenges I faced with Dance, but I’m going to focus on one particular that I think a lot of authors face to some degree. Doubt.

Doubt is something I had to deal with a lot when it came to writing Dance in the Moonlight. After releasing In the Light of the Moon, my tiny ego was hit hard and I was thrown off my short horse. (I would say tall, but I didn’t have a long way to go.) The event that did this to me is one that I don’t tell in detail, because it includes other people, but I will say it hurt and it hurt a lot (Argh! I can so understand your pain). The little voice of doubt crawled into my head and I had lost all confidence in my DWC series. So how does one get over such a hard hit? You find support.

I find that the word Indie author is very misleading, because very few people really do everything on their own. I wouldn’t be anywhere without the people who work with me in all aspects of publishing, from the readers to the editors, to the family that supports me. When doubt rears it’s ugly head, I go to my support system. I talk it out and I continue on. You see, doubt can’t win if you keep going. I won’t lie to you, the doubt is never gone, but as an author I refuse to let it stop me (Don't stop! Get it! Get it!).

I have seen many authors vent about doubt on Facebook to get an ego stroke, but this is not what this post is about. This post is about overcoming that doubt. There've been many times where I felt like giving up, throwing in the towel, and just crying in the corner. If you could see the rewriting, the feedback, the sweat that went into Dance, you would understand what I’m talking about. As a reader, these are the things you don’t see.

Dance in the Moonlight started out somewhere around 38k words. I had it finished before In the Light of the Moon was published. After some feedback from readers and other authors, I knew I needed to do something to Dance to help it meet reader expectations. So I added almost 20k more words to it and handed to my betas. One of my betas sat down with me and told me that it was good, but it could be better. So I worked with her on rewriting, reworking, and polishing it up some more. Through the entire process I was worried that it wouldn’t be good enough, that another ‘event’ would come as soon as I hit publish, but that didn’t stop me. All that hard work will pay off. It’s up, it’s out, and the reviews coming in have been awesome (YAY!).


So other than support and keep moving, what do I do to chase that doubt away? I get away for a little bit. I do a hard work out, have a cup of coffee, play with the baby, the dog, play video games, and remind myself that doubt does not rule me.  

Way to stay focused and keep at making your dreams come true, A. L.!

A.L. Kessler’s Dance in the Moonlight (DWC #2)
Released: March 13th, 2014

Renee’s life had been normal until the shadows reappeared and the legendary stone was sent to her. As the arrival drags her further into the paranormal world, the last thing Renee expects is to be swept off her feet by a brooding werewolf. 

Yet Coran captures her heart and attention. Small problem—he doesn't want a mate. Coran still suffers from the loss of his first mate, but when Renee is attacked by shifters he is forced to protect her at all costs. Things heat up when he realizes fate has wickedly granted him a second chance at love. With the war causing the body count to rise, now is not the ideal time to find a mate. 

The Circle is becoming desperate and something has Lucius worried which means trouble for his followers. It's a dance between danger and fate in this second installment of the Dark War Chronicles.

Buy Links:

Author Bio:

A.L. Kessler is a paranormal romance author living in beautiful Colorado Springs, CO. When she’s not at beck and call of the household—made up of her cats, dog, daughter and husband—she can be found hard at work on her next novel. In those rare moments of free time, she can be found playing video games, crafting, or reading.

Author Links

Other Works

Novels:
Midnight Symphony
In the Light of the Moon

Short Stories:
The Touch of Night
Of Souls and Steam (Penny Dread Vol. 4)

17 comments:

  1. Yes, the revision process seems endless, but a thorough job really does pay off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Revisions really are endless! I ended up sending my first DWC book out for another edit (not because of the 'even't) and I'm waiting on that to come back. I'm always growing and learning and I love that. I agree that it does pay off.

      Delete
  2. A writer friend of mine said once, "You doubt because you care... and that can only lead to great things."

    Congrats on your release. I love the title. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that! It's true too! Thank you, all my shifter books have moon in the title somewhere, it's always fun to come up with them.

      Delete
  3. So sorry you had that unfortunate 'event' but I'm glad your newest experience has been a good one. Love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and honestly I think I learned something about that event about standing behind my writing and that it has helped me grow in it. The cover is amazing, Something Wicked does a great job on all of them!

      Delete
  4. Like the name you picked. Coran. And people can be mean. I know.

    Hugs and chocolate!
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I feel in love with that name and another for a character later on. Oooo chocolate!

      Delete
  5. "I find that the word Indie author is very misleading, because very few people really do everything on their own."

    THIS, man. Support is so important, especially since the term "Indie Author" is still met with raised eyebrows in the literary community. I think that one sentence perfectly encompasses what makes indies so special.

    Great post, Kessler! Thanks for sharing, Angela!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm a strong believer in that sentence!

      Delete
  6. Fantastic post! Congratulations on your new release. Revisions are the hardest part for me, but they are necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes revisions are a pain!

      Delete
  7. I kind of like revisions. I usually find I can make better, deeper characters, fix logical gaps and generally improve the writing. They're not like the initial "wow" I've got a story, but they do focus me on the details.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I won’t lie to you, the doubt is never gone, but as an author I refuse to let it stop me"...love that!

    You said that perfectly. More people need to own that motto. I've seen so many talented writers just get eaten up by the doubt and drop out. You have to do it first for the love and keep doing it because it brings you inner joy. Forget the numbers. Forget the checks. Just write for love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hooray for paranormal romance! :D Congratulations on your new release!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, A.L. I'm glad you got out of that rut called doubt. It's great to receive support. We definitely can't go through this journey by ourselves. Congrats, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Doubt is like a virus, spreading into everything until your inner strength can manage to zap it out. I'm really glad you were able to rise above and congrats on your new release!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.