Monday, May 12, 2014

Jessa Russo and DIVIDE


We're all in for a treat!

I love learning how various stories came to be, what the inspiration was, the catalyst for it all. And today, Jessa Russo is stopping by to share about DIVIDE.

Welcome, Jessa :-) Take it away.

How DIVIDE came to be:

Well, it’s simple, really . . . I was driving.

And then, “SQUIRREL!” Only, in this case, it wasn’t a squirrel, but a shiny new idea.

It went a little something like this:
*driving*
*thinking*
I want to do a fairytale redux.
*nods*
*more thinking*
Which one? I’ve never read any. Have they all been done?
*thinks about covers I’ve seen, like CINDER’s pretty cover*
Psssst . . . Beauty and the Beast.
*more nodding*
But, how can my Beauty and the Beast be different?
*light bulb*
OMG! MY BEAUTY IS THE BEAST!
*commences crazy grinning and more nodding*
So I started the story. And then I read the original Beauty and the Beast.
Later on, after I’d written most of the book and was struggling toward the end of NaNoWriMo 2012, my critique partner (the amazing Tamara Mataya, author of recent release JUST BREATHE <---shameless plug) read what I had so far and said something like, “Oh wow, I love this Dr. Jekyll thing you’ve got going on here.”
*scratches head*
*considers*
Hmm . . . actually, that is an underlying theme of the book. I should expound on that. So I did.
Then I read the original Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
*writes more*

And so DIVIDE came to be, and we all lived happily ever after.

Or, well, not quite. Because then I had to query. *dies* Then I got my awesome agent. *yay!* Then we had to go on submission. *dies again* Then, after a lot of “We just signed something similar” and “Oh, sorry, we’ve signed all the fairytale retellings we want” . . . I had to accept the fact that I may have missed the boat on retelling classics.

But, as disappointed as I was—I’d thought FOR SURE this book was going to be my ticket into traditional publishing—I believed in my book, in my characters, and in my ability to tell their story, so I decided that it wasn’t DIVIDE’s time to be shelved.

I self-published—with the support of my agent, of course.


And that, my friends, is how DIVIDE came to be.

***I really love how DIVIDE was born!***

DIVIDE's Blurb:
From senior class president to dejected social outcast, with just the flick of a match.
After accusations of torching her ex-boyfriend’s home are followed by the mysterious poisoning of her ex-best friend, seventeen-year-old Holland Briggs assumes her life is over. And it is. But not in the way she thinks.
As Holland learns the truth about her cursed fate—that she is descended from the Beast most have only ever heard of in fairytales—she unites with an unlikely ally, good-looking newcomer Mick Stevenson. 
Mick knows more about Holland’s twisted history than she does, and enlightening as it is to learn about, his suggestion for a cure is unsettling at best. Holland must fall in love with Mick in order to break the spell, and save their future generations from repeating her cursed fate. Having sworn off love after the betrayals of her ex-boyfriend and ex-best friend, this may be difficult to accomplish. 
Complicating things further for Holland and Mick, time runs out, and Holland’s change begins way before schedule. With Holland quickly morphing into a dangerous mythical creature, Mick struggles to save her. 
Should they fail, Holland will be lost to the beast inside her forever.

Buy Links:
Amazon | Kobo | Barnes&Noble | Goodreads

Author Bio: 
Jessa Russo believes in fairytales, ghosts, anJake Ryan. She insists mimosas were created for Sundays, and that’s not up for discussion.  She’s obsessed with the great city of New Orleans—where she’s collected too many beads to count, eventually married her sweetheart, and visited graveyards they don’t include on maps.
She’s loud, painfully honest, and passionate about living life to the fullest, because she’s seen how abruptly it can be taken away.
What began as a desire for reading and writing young adult paranormal has bled into stories of all kinds. From fantasy to pre-dystopian to erotic contemporary, Jessa’s stories always include romance, though she’s given up on pigeonholing her work into a category or genre box.
Jessa was born and raised in Southern California, and remains there to this day with her husband (a classic car fanatic), their daughter (a Tim Burton superfan), and a Great Dane who thinks he’s the same size as his Chihuahua sister.
ENTWINED, the final installment of Russo’s Ever Trilogy, will be released later this year, as well as CHLORINE&CHAOS, an erotic contemporary romance (writing as Parker Jameson).
My Links:
Do you have a fairy tale you've considered giving a new lease on life?

15 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your release, Jessa, and good luck! It's a shame when publishers decided that "this thing" or "that thing" is over. Because the readers who like those things are always looking for new titles, no matter how much the publishers have decided "it's over." This sounds like a great new take on B&B!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so frustrating, isn't it? Like paranormal: I'm a lifelong fan of all things paranormal, including vampires, yet we're led to believe the genre as a whole is "over." But how can that be when I love it so much!? Its such a fickle thing, publishing, so the fact that we have multiple options really is beautiful!

      Delete
  2. I can just imagine your car going faster and faster as you hashed out your idea. LOL. Congrats, Jessa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right!? *tries not to crash*

      LOL! Thanks for checking out my guest post!

      Delete
  3. I'm always so interested when writers tell how they pursued their dream of publication. They're often similar, but never dull. Congratulations on carrying through, Jessa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely a cool twist. Glad you decided to publish it on your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Me too! I think we live in such a great time for writers . . . the world is wide open for us!

      Delete
  5. Awesome story Jessa!! So glad you didn't give up. It sounds like a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome story! And kudos on self pubbing rather than giving up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing story! Love the blurb. Congratulations, Jessa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, if they couldn't recognize a gem when they saw it, it's their loss. Glad you decided to move forward on your own. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea. Now I'll have to reread Beauty and the Beast, then your version.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations, Jessa! I'm so pleased you didn't give up on your idea or book. This is going on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.