Wednesday, June 4, 2014

IWSG - Keep it Moving

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time. Click here for the list and deets.

It's a point in the year that is sort of, well, rather tiring:
- My job is in flux because a company merger is having it's trickle-down effects as "synergies" are reviewed and redundancies are being vacated.
- My Chipmunk is near the end of the school year getting by on excited jitters for summer and trying her best not to drive me crazy with her giddiness (she can be so sweet sometimes lol!).
- I'm re-reading G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Fire of Ice from the beginning and have floundered into another state of mourning from falling in love with and losing Ned Stark all over again. This time, I think my emotional state is much better and I should be able to read the first four books all the way through, unlike my last attempt.
- And my writing has me in a unique position. Under my pen name, I've released four short stories and now a boxed set. Yet under my Angela Brown name, I'm apparently stuck in Edit-ville. I can't blame writer's block for not starting my third story in my Shadow Jumpers series (should have started over two months ago). The words are there, I'm just procrastinating

Part of me wants to fret. But if there's one thing I've learned thus far on this writing journey, it's to keep it moving. If I let myself fret over the procrastination, I'll worry the words right out of my head. So to ensure I don't go completely away from my goal of completing the Shadow Jumpers series, I've got a special project underway, an illustration piece I hope to share soon. So far, the work on it is nice. And to keep my head in the game, let me share this little number (thanks Heather McCorkle):



Anyone who's read Neverlove or They All Fall Down can take this button and let other readers know that Team Basil is alive and well, or rather, as alive as a reformed servant of hell can be :-)

What do you do to keep your goal front and center when it tries to remove itself as a blip on your radar?



25 comments:

  1. OMG, does your company actually use the word "synergies" to describe its business goals? My principal constantly uses the word "systemic" to describe how we should do things. When I he first came to us, I kept thinking he was talking about disease. Now, sadly, I am way too used to the word.

    As for keeping my goal front and center when it doesn't want to be? I generally need to remove myself from the activity of the house, hole up in the basement where there's not much stimulation besides my own writing ... and I generally become more productive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your working life. Sounds a bit scary! At least your writing is still progressing, even though it is a bit slower than your usual gun ho pace. You most likely need to slow it down a bit to keep your work life balance in perspective. All the best, I hope next month is better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mergers can be tricky. Good luck with work, and with your writing goals. I'm sure both will be just fine. You've already accomplished so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I'm pretty weird in this respect, but I tend to cling to my goals (dreams) in bad times, so they never tend to disappear. I'm always aware/feeling guilty about them. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear about your job situation. I know exactly how nerve-wracking those times can be. Fingers crossed it all works out well for you.

    Love the Team Basil button!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Should have started two months ago..." - This is the story of my life, lately. To keep focus on my goals when I don't feel like it, usually takes me to a separate place away from writing. It's a good indication to me that I need a break - even a little one. Then, I'll eek back into it by watching a movie that will challenge me or reading a few chapters in a writing craft book. Actually, that's what I'm using the month of June for - reading craft books and taking a creative break.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope all goes well with your job and Chipmunk! I'm starting to read the whole GoT series for the first time. I'm loving the writing. Just wish I had more time to really get rolling on the reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That can be tough, especially with so many distractions. I suffer from the same problem! I set daily goals and do my best to focus and stick to them, keeping the end game in sight. It helps to have something to work toward, such as submitting to agents, pitching at a conference. I finished my latest book on this kind of deadline to pitch at RT and it did fantastic things for me and my career. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I am spinning out of control, I take time to be still. I let myself discover why I am procrastinating and what I can do to get back my forward momentum. Sometimes I just have a glass of wine and turn on some tunes though...just chillaxing. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a story sitting on my hard drive since 2001. Ugh. Hope you do better than that!

    I understand losing interest when a beloved character dies. I loved Sirius Black in Harry Potter. When he died, I was done. Never read another book in the series.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's not a race. You're writing as two people, so no stress you can't do it at the same pace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I tell myself that when I procrastinate I've at least made one decision--not to do anything. Gotta look on the positive side. You've just put out a chunk of work. Pat yourself on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gah, good luck with the company merger! And the procrastination. Maybe for you it felt freer to write under your pen name, like it's a distant part of you, so no fear? I mean, I'd like to feel that way, just generally, so maybe I'm projecting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Angela,

    You have so much going for you. The main thing is that you don't put unnecessary pressure on your good self. And the distraction that is Chipmunk can actually be an inspiration to your writing.

    Relax and smile, Angela.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you've done a lot this year. I admire your determination. I've learned to just go with what inspiration is hitting me at the moment. Forcing it never works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been in the "synergy" flux before --it's no fun! I write my goals down and refine them constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  17. keep moving forward =)
    way to talk yourself up!

    ps - i love the GOT series and am getting frustrated with the tv version, but i understand their limitations. I keep reading ahead so i dont miss anything good that they might leave out! A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons are written in semi-conjunction. And Crows is harder to get thru, ugh! read the author note at the back of it, then decide how you want to proceed... just a word of advice =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Goals can definitely be slippery beasts, especially when kids-on-the-verge-of-summer-vacation are thrown into the mix! Can you believe that I still haven't read any GOT books? I feel like the length is too daunting at this point in my life when I read in snippets. Good luck getting that 3rd Shadow Jumpers book written/edited/out in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the GoT series! Just keep moving forward. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sorry about your company changes. I read a list of B.S. words businesses use these days and "synergy" was at the top of it. It's one of those buzzwords they love to throw around but employees know it's all just smoke and mirrors.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Being Sagatarius that's all I see. I shoot my arrow + blindly follow it. :-)

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette


    ReplyDelete
  22. So glad to see your poaitives even through all that procrastination. I do it too. And then, I get distracted. I want to wriye, so I write. Sometines it's on my blog, in my journal, or on my WIP. I go where the words want me to go. So no need to fret. It's stilm writing. :)

    Jamie Dement (LadyJai )
    Http:// caringforaveteran.wordpress.com
    Http:// writebackwards.we3dements.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. So glad to see your poaitives even through all that procrastination. I do it too. And then, I get distracted. I want to wriye, so I write. Sometines it's on my blog, in my journal, or on my WIP. I go where the words want me to go. So no need to fret. It's stilm writing. :)

    Jamie Dement (LadyJai )
    Http:// caringforaveteran.wordpress.com
    Http:// writebackwards.we3dements.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. So glad to see your poaitives even through all that procrastination. I do it too. And then, I get distracted. I want to wriye, so I write. Sometines it's on my blog, in my journal, or on my WIP. I go where the words want me to go. So no need to fret. It's stilm writing. :)

    Jamie Dement (LadyJai )
    Http:// caringforaveteran.wordpress.com
    Http:// writebackwards.we3dements.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. So glad to see your poaitives even through all that procrastination. I do it too. And then, I get distracted. I want to wriye, so I write. Sometines it's on my blog, in my journal, or on my WIP. I go where the words want me to go. So no need to fret. It's stilm writing. :)

    Jamie Dement (LadyJai )
    Http:// caringforaveteran.wordpress.com
    Http:// writebackwards.we3dements.com

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.