Monday, June 2, 2014

May Flowers

April showers are supposed to bring May flowers. Let's take a look at what cropped up for the month of May goal-wise

Release Confessions of a Sex Fiend boxed set by (alter ego) Rayven Godchild, 5/26/2014 - Done, got this baby out in the world and will be having a virtual book tour during the month of June.


Work on ONCE UPON A SUMMONS, MG fairy tale smash up - I had the privilege of being part of Adventures of YA Publishing's First Five Pages Workshop. The feedback provided was helpful and I think I've made some positive headway. I've got lots more to do with feedback from other great CPs so I look forward to doing more on this one.

Begin third book in Shadow Jumpers trilogy - Uh...still a no go :-(

Begin another round of edits for BEACON (Ripped Ties series), my YA urban fantasy dystopian - I got some great feedback from one of my awesome CPs and have begun edits for this one so definitely excited.

I can't call the month of May a bust, but I do wish I could have gone full on green across the board.

And here's an excerpt from BEACON:
“My deal,” she leaned toward me with her face inches from mine, “is that anybody else in New Festus would have the patrol agent’s laser rifle pointed in their face or worse…locked up in the Steels. No excuses.” She stomped back to my desk and glanced over it. Three gold coins sat in a row. Her sneer deepened, face bunched together like she’d sucked on a ripe lemon. “You! Ugh, still get a stupid coin without a full donation because your parents were chosen for Jubilee.”
“Yeah,” I said. My voice dropped to little more than a whisper. “They were. And they’re missing…or dead. Thanks for the reminder, Whitley.”
Her face took on a powdered pale shade as the blood and anger drained away. “I just meant that, well, you know, just didn’t want you abusing that because you think you’ll be chosen, too.”
I jumped to my feet. “I don’t want it! You can take the damn Jubilee and toss it for all I care. Look what it got them. That’s all I’m allowed to have of my mom and dad. No one knows where they’re at! Frag it all, Whitley!”
Remembering my parents always pained me, but at the moment, I saw my chance. I flopped on my bed and covered my head with my pillow. I worked up a few broken breaths, just on the cusp of a sob. Heaven, please, Whitley, just fall for it.
“Macie? I’m, I’m sorry. It’s just…never mind. Look, Thomas is manning our kitchen this month. He should have dinner ready now.” Her soft soles whispered as she crept close to me. I barely felt her fingertips graze my leg. “I didn’t mean to…” She lifted her hand and shuffled away, the door quietly clicking closed.
I laid there a moment, glad my little acting job worked. I wiped at an unwanted tear. Not much acting involved.

So what did you get done in the month of May? Any special announcement to share?

8 comments:

  1. It sounds to me like you got a lot done! You worked on three out of four projects!

    Me, I started a new project at the end of April, and I'm up to 15k as of yesterday. And I proof-read the first pass pages of the 2nd Eighth Day book, The Inquisitor's Mark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be interesting to find out more about your new project, Dianne. And I can't wait to see how things go with The Inquisitor's Mark. I really enjoyed The Eighth Day :-)

      Delete
  2. Psst... I loved your excerpt of First Five Pages. I knew it was you, but still thought maybe there could be another AB. LOL (BTW - if you need any eyes for the rest of the manuscript throughout the summer, just ask. I'll be taking some time off, but can be reached by email.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm working through revisions and reading for someone. Oh, and I got all the flowers for my porch planted so it looks all pretty out there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you have both goals and real flowers blossoming nicely :-)

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness!! Talk about a huge to-do list!!

    Add me to your virtual tour, if you have spots. I'd love to help :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You set the bar too high for yourself! Those are great achievements. Celebrate!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.