Wednesday, July 2, 2014

IWSG - Sometimes You Feel Like a Nut

Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Click HERE to check out the linky list, visit others in the group, and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time. 

So, about this whole felling like a nut thing. It happens sometimes. Not everyday or in some sort of pattern. But every now and then I feel a little crazy doing what I do.

I work at the paying gig eight hours of the day, then I spend time being a parent and making sure my kiddo knows I really do love her and not my laptop. Then I get on my laptop and can end up traipsing around the various social media outlets for a while before ever slitting my wrist to pour out a new word in my manuscript. 

Some may say doing this is crazy, deranged, even a little nutty.

I have to agree.

But in all my nuttiness, I love doing what I do. It can be quite a full plate sometimes, but I wouldn't want to bring this dream journey to an end. 

Can you think of an example of someone doing something a little nutty but reaping the fruits of their labor?

16 comments:

  1. I think all writers are a little bit nuts. :) I frequently get asked why I don't take time off writing, because most non-writers can't fathom that it's enjoyable, even if it means working 7 days a week and even taking my laptop on holiday! But I love writing, and I can't imagine it being any other way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Call me nutty! I understand perfectly. I'm in the same boat, working, parenting, writing...

    Sometimes I think I'm a little crazy. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! What Emma said!
    People suggest I take a break from writing, especially if I tell them I'm frustrated with a draft. How is that going to help? If I'm not writing, what am I going to do with my time? Play Candy Crush? Watch those soccer matches everyone keeps talking about but I haven't seen a second of and don't even know who's playing?

    Not happening. I am a nut about writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You mean like that lunatic who built computers in his parents' garage?

    What was his name? Oh, yeah. Steve Jobs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we writers all seem nutty to our non-writing friends and families, they don't understand the need to be at the computer. I've learned not to discuss writing with them after seeing their eyes roll back in their heads a few times :). So I've picked up the nutty habit of talking out loud to myself at home. The fear was doing that unconsciously in public. But after hearing people talking into cell phones in the grocery store, I no longer turn and look when I hear someone rattling on. This gives me the hope that all strangers will think I'm talking into a phone and not look at me when I blurt out suddenly, "The brass key! It can be found in the flower bed!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your day sounds like mine!

    Nutty and me, we mix well. I'll stare off into space for a while, piecing together bit of story to build a believeable timeline. That's usually interrupted by my husband asking, "Do I have something on my face?" Then I remember to go back to the conversation we'd been having. :)

    Great attitude! Keep on being nutty.

    Loni

    ReplyDelete
  7. I shared a quote in my post today that sums up the crazy part pretty well. :) I think you have to be a little nuts to try this writing thing. But it's a good kind of nuts. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sure it sounds crazy when you say it like that.
    Still not sure why I keep doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Maria's comment, couldn't be a better example. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I live an insane life, as you know, but I prefer it this way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think like would be the same for any writer if we didn't make some form or sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think all writers are a little nutty, but that's what makes it all the more wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I often feel this way! I'm hoping to get some writing done this month before I have to start planning for my teaching gig in Sept.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes! Any unpublished author who spends countless hours pouring over their manuscript editing and re-editing and re-editing ad nauseum knowing that there is no guarantee their book will ever get published or sell enough copies to pay for itself. Isn't that level of commitment, especially in this age of instant gratification, amazing? Nutty, but wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. We're all nutty, Angela! I do the same thing, minus the kiddo thing. And I dream of the day when I can just write, when I want and wherever I want. Doesn't that sound lovely?

    ReplyDelete
  16. That does sound like a lot to manage! Just the fact that you can articulate being intentional about it all makes me think that you're doing a fine job, though :)
    We are all a bit nutty for participating in all this writing stuff, but I'm glad we're all nutty together!

    Visiting from IWSG,
    ~AJ from Naturally Sweet

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.