Monday, August 11, 2014

Truths and Goals

Goals are so helpful in keeping things on track and even helping a person to see when they need to face some certain truths.
First, let's see how I did with July's goals.
 - Finish first round of edits for OUAS, my MG story - Only half done. I'm giving myself an extended amout of time to work on this. No rush.
 - Start Shadow Jumpers III manuscript - Nope. If you had a chance to read my IWSG post, I finally dealt with a truth I was hoping to deny regarding why I haven;t been able to get this one done. Now that I have. I've got some baby steps in place to help me move forward
 - Format SL for replublish - Initial format is done. Just got some additional prep work to do.
 - Complete the swag for IRC 2014 convention bags - Done and mailed off.

Although the goals aren't all flashing green, I did get in a LOT of reading and a load of critiquing done as well. So maybe not perfect, but definitely productive.

How are the goals going in your neck of the woods?


17 comments:

  1. I need to make a new to-do list this week. Goals are very important, even though we can't always reach them when we'd like.

    Good luck in August!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, Miranda. Even though I may not get to everything, it's good to have an awareness of things I want to accomplish.

      Delete
  2. Half done is still good! Sometimes pushing back goals is good. Gives you time to do them right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Doing things right is such a good thing to keep in mind.

      Delete
  3. What Alex said. Keep working. Want to finish a first draft by the end of August and for September, I have a high-intensity effort that'll mean a lot of time in the writing cave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, Joy. Buckle down and go for it :-)

      Delete
  4. I've done a lot of critiquing and reading last month too. I know it doesn't sound like much but I feel smarter for having done it. LOL. That should count.

    PS Acknowledging that you have to switch gears and do something else is a huge step. Kudos for having the courage to change what wasn't working for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a lot to gain from critiquing. Now if I can just translate my lessons from critiquing others to catching those same kind of issues with my own work lol!

      Delete
  5. I set myself a goal without a deadline, because pushing myself to write words when I wasn't ready was killing my creativity. Better to take my time and get some joy out of writing. Because if it's not fun, it's not going to be any good, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You pretty much hit the hammer on the nail right there, Dianne :-) Got to be fun.

      Delete
  6. You are smart to not only set goals but to adjust them when necessary. Keeps you sane.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'm on track for my goals. I don't know how you get so much done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful that you're on track, Barbara :-)
      As for what I get done, I think it happens with me sliding into thrid or home plate by the very edge of my teeth lol!

      Delete
  8. I've had a really stressful few months so I've had to lessen my work load. However, I'm managing with my new goals and that's boosting me up. You have done a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you Angela! Great progress, I'd say! Goals in this neck of the woods aren't going so well. I have once again way overestimated the amount of time I have to work in the summer. When will I stop doing that? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've done well with your goals, Angela. We tend to expect too much of ourselves. Sometimes we need a reality check about what we can actually get done. But I have to say that I'm sooo looking forward to the next Shadow Jumpers :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.