Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Hosting The Paranormal Hour (Thanks, Gwen Gardner!!!!)

The Paranormal Hour With Angela Brown

*On blog-stage, Angela Brown sits in a chair, a low table separates her from a sectional sofa where her guests are seated. Someone up in the rafters is adjusting the lights, another is testing sound. Indigo is seated nearest to Angela, Badger next to her, then Simon. Angela is going through her notes prior to air time. She reads cue cards, raises eyebrows, snorts a little*

*Director holds up fingers: three, two, one. The “On the Air” light comes on*

Angela: Welcome to the Paranormal Hour. We have an interesting agenda today, to say the least.

Gwen Gardner’s Indigo Eady “Cozy” Paranormal Mystery series plays on the periphery of this world and the paranormal dimension. Mostly ghosts. In her newest series, she picks up the same characters and drops them firmly over the line into the paranormal zone. Of course there are still ghosts, but Indigo and her team of teenage sleuths discover that there is so much more.

And so I’ve invited a few of the cast members from Second Death, the first novella in the Afterlife series, to talk about a couple of the creatures that I find, quite frankly, hard to believe.

Please welcome Indigo, Simon and Badger.

*Applause*

Angela: So tell me, what exactly is a Gardengoyle?

Indigo: It’s kind of hard to describe. I would never have believed it if I hadn’t seen them with my own eyes. They’re actually related to Gargoyles, only smaller. But they’re still huge. About seven feet tall, with wings and a tail. A bit intimidating, really, but sort of cute, too.

Angela: Cute? Like a puppy?

Simon: *snort* In a puggish sort of way. I’m sorry, Indigo, but I don’t see how you can call them cute. They’re from the Gargoyle phylum. Their ancestors were created to scare away evil. You’ve gotta be pretty flippin’ ugly to scare evil away.

Badger: That’s true, mate, but Glomp does seem to be quite attracted to Gertie. So really, it goes back to beauty being in the eye of the beholder. They probably think we’re extremely ugly.

Simon: Well, I can see how they would think that about you…

Angela: *holds up finger and tries to interject* Now, let’s play nice, boys…

Indigo: No, he’s right, Simon. I was a little scared when we first met them because it was just so surprising…

Simon: *scoff* A little scared? You were hiding behind Badger!

Indigo: Maybe so, but at least I wasn’t the one squealing like a girl…

Angela: *tries interjecting again* Uh, guys, maybe we should all calm down…

Simon: I didn’t…

Badger: You did, dude…

Angela: *rises from her seat and walks center stage, her back to her guest panel, argument continuing* HeHe, teenagers! Well there’s one way to settle this argument. Let’s check out the excerpt:

...I stepped forward gingerly, taking a shooters stance with my right leg and right shoulder forward. I took another cautious step. Something shifted in the shadows on either side of the doors and before I could react I was yanked back, nearly off my feet, by Badger. Sandwiched between the boys, we watched as two hideous figures emerged, one a grayish-purple, the other a bluish-gray. We staggered backwards, holding onto each other. My heart pounded in my ears. 
The figures stopped just out of the shadows, fully visible under the moon glow.
I gasped.
“W-w-what are they?” Simon croaked.
“I dunno.” Badger stared up at the creatures. He grasped my shoulder, painfully, and pulled me behind him. All the while we inched backwards.
I peered around Badger to get a better look. “I do. I know what they are. But—they don’t exist.”
“Uh, would you care to enlighten us about the non-existent creatures who may or may not be standing before us?” said Badger, a note of exasperation creeping into his voice.
I grasped his jacket tightly between my fingers, as if the tighter I hung on, the safer I’d be. “Th-th-they’re gargoyles.”
“Are they dangerous?” asked Badger.
“Dangerous? Look at them!” exclaimed Simon, on the point of hysteria. “Talons and tails can’t be a good thing. Just sayin’. And are those… wings?
“And horns,” I added, as the purplish-grey dude leapt forward, extending a twenty foot wingspan. I’m not gonna lie, I hid my face in Badger’s jacket and waited for the blow. But…
“Name please?”

Gardengoyles - cute or ugly? What do you think?

While contemplating if Gardengoyles are cute or not (even if in a puggish kind of way lol!) make sure to check out this awesome novella by Gwen Gardner.
Second Death:

The Sabrina Shores spirit community is in crisis.
Ghosties are mysteriously disappearing at an alarming rate.
They’re simply…gone. A second death.

The clues are limited, but it’s clear that the one common factor is Gertrude’s Garden, the nightclub social center of the spirit community which just happens to adjoin the Sabrina Shores cemetery: the one place Indigo makes a point of not going. Ever. She has her reasons.

Indigo Eady:

Much to her chagrin, Indigo Eady is a celebrity among spirits. She’s the girl who can see and speak with them. She has a proven track record in helping spirits find their murderers, so it’s no surprise when she’s drafted onto the Missing Paranormal Committee. Who better to help them than the experienced teenage ghost whisperer- investigator and her friends? 

Gwen Gardner is a native Californian living in sunny San Diego, where her love of reading and writing led to a BA in English literature. Life is now complete with her husband, two dogs and a daily call from her daughter.

Since ghosts feature prominently in her young adult Indigo Eady Paranormal “Cozy” Mystery series, she has a secret desire to meet one face to face - but will run screaming for the hills if she ever does. Gwen adores travel and experiencing the cultures and foods of different countries. She is always up for an adventure and anything involving chocolate - not necessarily in that order. 
Connect with Gwen:
OR USE THESE:

8 comments:

  1. I love the names of those characters! Great voices, too. This was a fun interview. It was great getting to know them. Thanks, Angela. Congrats to Gwen!

    Cute or Ugly? Hmmm.... I think a bit of both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably not cute. And so not cool for a dude to squeal like a girl.
    Funny interview, even if you couldn't get in a word edgewise, Angela.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simon does tend to squeal at moments of high anxiety *snort*

      Delete
  3. Hi Angela, thanks for hosting my naughty characters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun interview, those things are cute in a scare off every possible annoying person who thinks they can just open people's front gate without permission. Will give the mail man and family a pass though. Congrats Gwen on a scary funny series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very intrigued by gargoyles. Such interesting creatures. Thanks, Sheena-kay!

      Delete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.