Monday, November 10, 2014

Change of Plans - BEACON

The month of November didn't start off with a bang. It was more like a slow motion movie moment for the first few days that then shifted to normal speed.

I NaNoWriMo'd while also doing edits for BEACON, myYA urban fantasy dystopian. Throwing in the necessary work time, parenting time and occassions of trying to show our jittery cockatiel, Hawk, that we humans mean him no harm, made for some rather busy days. Of the things that suffered, because yeah, something had to give, NaNoWriMo took the biggest hit. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to add a NaNoWriMo winner badge to my blog, but I'm pretty thrilled with what I've gotten started.

I mentiond BEACON for another reason. I'm very pleased to share an exciting update. This was the cover for BEACON when I shared that Evernight Teen picked it up for publishing:
Here is the cover now:
I heart the precious!! *hugs laptop*
You might be asking what BEACON is about. I'm rather terrible when it comes to loglines. But I wanted to see if I could come up with something that could share what the story is about in a nutshell. So here's my - ahem - attempt:

*In a society where humans and vampeer (vampires) coexist, the gift of blood is the gift of peace.* When one teen tries to follow the blood rule, it brings unwanted attention from the authorities that forces her to face the explosive truths behind The Colony's facade in order to save her missing parents.

That's, sadly, the best I got right now. Maybe I can work on it more later. For now, please enjoy the cover and look for more updates soon :-)

What's new in your world?

24 comments:

  1. Very cool. When's your release date?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it's November 21st. I believe :-)

      Delete
  2. Oooh, love the cover!
    And loglines are so hard. Here's a formula I picked up from mashing together a post by C. Lee McKenzie and another blog I forget:
    Main character w/describing adjective or very brief phrase + main goal + the stakes/deadline/or consequences of failure. Does that help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dianne. It does help. I just have to buckle my brain down for more than five minutes to focus on the logline. I think logline and my brain wants to run away from me all hysterical. I wonder why? LOL!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! I think your logline is off to a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice cover, Angela. Wishing you all the best with this book and catching up your NaNo word count. I'm not where I wanna be with NaNo, but the main objective was to increase my word count, so I guess that's one positive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy. And you're right. Starting this new project was important. I hope to get a little more in before the end of the month.

      Delete
  5. That sounds fun and the cover is brilliant! I love how different things start to come out the longer you look at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jasmyn. I am pleased with the way the cover turned out.

      Delete
  6. Yay! Great cover, and it sounds like an edge-of-the-seat read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine. I hope readers enjoy it. It was fun to write and I still love to read it now.

      Delete
  7. I like that logline! And I had no idea what a vampeer was. Nice cover too. Tastefully spicy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  8. Loglines are tricky to write. I'm still working on a few. Good luck with everything and the cover art looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Stephen. They are very tricky, indeed.

      Delete
  9. Love your cover! And loglines are such a trick--best of luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beacon sounds awesome! Congrats, Angela, for your upcoming new release!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice cover! Good log line! And at least you're being productive - that's what matters - even if NaNo is off to a slow start. You've still got time to catch up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the inspiration, Susanna :-)

      Delete
  12. Angela, how are you always so productive and on top of things??? Seriously. I want to be you. You're amazing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm also deep in nano and wishing you well if you continue forward with it!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.