Friday, February 20, 2015

Less of Me

One of the things that is a necessary evil when it comes to being a published author, no matter what path you take to get there, is that you have to file taxes. This means you have to claim your royalties/earnings for the year, but you can balance that by writing off the expenses for promoting, prizes, conferences, book production, consultations, etc.

Bringing Rayven Godchild back from her chill spot in the wings was great. Under this pen name, I released some steamy titles, mainly the Confessions and Secret Lilies. Under my own name, I participated in the Twisted Earths anthology as well as the first-in-series boxed set, Fantasy Uprising. I also released Beacon, the first book in the Ripped Ties series.

2014 was awesome in many ways. I even jumped on my 2015 goals and was filled with so much excitement until I filed my taxes. There are some realities that are hard to bear. In my reality, I have a feeling there would those who would advise me to stop writing and publishing. Sadly, my sales are trending in such a way that revenue gained won't help me meet the goals I was so hopeful for accomplishing for 2015.

I pondered a Kickstarter, but I could not, in good conscience, do one when I have an obviously difficult time bringing readers to my books or doing the things to increase awareness and intrigue in my stories.

So, I've started looking for a second job, something part-time that will allow me a few hours through the week to do some reading, writing and critiquing.

I had some bold aspirations for this year. My hope is that I don't have to toss my 2015 goals altogether, but rather, adjust them out for a longer term to still see them come to fruition... just not all of them this year.

This means I may be a bit sporadic with my blog posts. Not because I don't like blogging, but rather becasue a part-time job will add a bit of a time-crunch to things lol!

I will write. I will publish. You'll still see me... just less of me.

For those of you who've been with me since I started this publishness journey, I truly thank you. For those who've just discovered me, I thank you as well and hope you can all bear with me as go through a few changes to improve both my life and writng-life situations.

Because I don't want this to be felt, seen or interpreted as a bad thing, please have a slice of deliciousness :-)

Tart with berries, Thinkstock.com

21 comments:

  1. At this stage of your life --and you're still very much a young chick :) -- it's perfectly normal to look for ancillary revenue.

    If you want to keep it in the writing vein, keep an eye out for editing and copy writing jobs in the market. While I started out as a graphic designer, it didn't take long for me to branch out into copy writing. Later on, I took a freelance job editing newsletters. It was a nice chunk of change doing what I loved.

    I hope you find something interesting...and lucrative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured now would be the best time. My body is still holding up fairly well lol! So if i want to double my grind, I better do it now :-)

      Delete
  2. Ah, taxes. Bane of everything! I'm a freelance illustrator and in the Netherlands you have to do taxes for 2014 around april in the follow up year. I've already calculated I'll have to pay a significant chunk of my earned money. Bleh. Ah well, it keeps the streets clean and such ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paying the taxes wasn't so hard, just seeing the reality of the numbers... a bit disheartening but I won't let it be a dream stealer.

      Delete
  3. That tart looks delicious.

    And I know what you mean. Even with a full-time job it's really, really hard to find the extra money to put into publishing. Good luck finding a part-time job, Angela!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that tart struck a chord with my belly lol! And thanks, Cherie :-)

      Delete
  4. I have always admired your persistence in moving ahead. You have accomplished so much. I know you can find a great part time job and become even more successful as an author!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouraging words, Catherine. I'll keep moving... steady forward progress, baby steps and all, to a more stable financial situation and publishing foundation.

      Delete
  5. Sorry the taxes tripped you up! I hope you find a way to make it happen.
    And saw your new covers at Ellie's - they are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The taxes weren't so bad. I didn't mind putting in my share for our country. But those sales numbers were another thing.

      I am glad you had a chance to check out the new covers. I really like how they turned out.

      Delete
  6. You know I totally understand. And taxes are a consideration. I'm thinking of this myself as I'm contemplating my next job being an independent contractor paying my own taxes. You're awesome and it's amazing all you accomplish. Don't feel bad that you can't blog, write, or publish as much this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to keep telling myself to not feel bad. I had some pretty lofty goals and adjusting will take some getting used to.

      Delete
  7. Kindle sales are down overall, I don't think it's you or your books. A lot of writers and publishers have had to downsize their goals to adjust to the new realities of this current market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You bring up an angle I hadn't considered, Karen. Food for thought.

      Delete
    2. You bring up an angle I hadn't considered, Karen. Food for thought.

      Delete
  8. Good luck with your goals Angela. I hope the job doesn't get too demanding.

    Now I'm off to go buy a cherry cheese cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reality really stinks. There are good sides and bad sides to so many people writing books- it's tougher to grab slices of deliciousness. I think you're doing it in a wise way. I've also had to adjust my schedule and blog a little less. I love the blog, but the words in the books bring the money.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't let the monetary realities overshadow the dream. Just make whatever adjustments you need to and keep moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww taxes...That Man and I owe this year, sigh. Needed to adjust our withholdings at the EDJs. I hope you find something that not only fits your schedule without killing your family time but something that you can enjoy.

    May this be just a slight detour in the journey toward your dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think all authors struggle with this. I'm in a few forums where I have seen authors I *thought* were doing well complain about a decline in sales. And I'm thinking, "Gee. If they're struggling, how do I stand a chance?"

    But I have yet to see anyone say, "I guess I'll just stop writing." I don't think that's an option for any of us ...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've known a few people who have done successful crowdfunding campaigns, but they kept their monetary goals low so that they were pretty easy to achieve. Most of the ones with high pie-in-the-sky dollar figures end up failing unless they get some kind of viral push or have a huge fan base ready to back up the campaign.

    Don't let taxes hinder your progress. But don't get in trouble over them either!

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Tossing It Out



    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.