Tuesday, February 17, 2015

What Can Tom Petty Do For You?

I'm so excited to have the always awesome Elizabeth Seckman visiting Publishness today. Please welcome her as she shares about how Tom Petty helped her overcome a writing stuggle.

Take it away, Elizabeth!

Thanks for having me over Angela!

When I was writing Defying Reason, I had a hard time putting my finger on Jo, the heroine.

She was a sort of vague wishy/washy character.

Then one day, I was telling my boys the story of rocker, Tom Petty.

Tom Petty took on the record industry over their unfair treatment of artists. Record companies would give artists advances and then make them "earn out" that money. By the time they paid back the costs of promotion, recording time, etc., the artists could sell millions of copies and still be broke. So, Petty broke his contract by refusing to deliver his next album. Then he paid $500,000 of his own money and recorded that album himself.

That $500,000 put him deep in debt, so then he declared bankruptcy. But he was a free!

Story goes the record companies were furious. They'd have loved nothing more than to tell Petty to take his music and shove it. But Petty didn't care. He was ready to sell his new album out of the trunk of his car before he'd accept their unfair terms.

The record companies knew he meant it. They knew he'd be as happy playing clubs as he would Madison Square Garden. So, they offered him a better contract...which included the assurance that his records would be sold at an affordable price.

Anyhow, my kids, being the youngsters that they are, had no clue who Tom Petty was or what his songs sounded like, so I downloaded a few...and while listening...suddenly...there was Jo.

She was an American girl. Though she was born to a flaky single mom and raised in poverty, Jo still had hope. She still believed that hard work and diligence made dreams come true.

She was raised on peanut butter and promises. And she deserved a happily ever after!









The Blurb:

Jo Leigh Harper comes from a long line of trouble-making, white trash stock.
Tanner Coulter comes from a longer line of wealth-creating, blue blood stock.
Jo graduated college top of her class, moving toward a future full of possibilities.
Tanner dropped out of college, trading a law degree for drinking games and one night stands.

A family crisis throws the rich party boy and the poor genius girl together. The attraction is immediate, though neither one is a heart-in-the-sand-drawing believer in true love. But as the summer sun heats up along the shores of the Outer Banks, so does the connection between them. Maybe, just maybe, they can win at love by defying reason.

 
Author Bio:

Elizabeth is a multi-published author of books for people who are believers in happily-ever- after, true love, and stories with a bit of fun and twists with their plots. The mother of four young men, she tackles laundry daily and is the keeper of the kitchen. She lives along the shores of the Ohio River in West Virginia, but dreams daily of the beach. 

FacebookBlogWebsiteBuy Link

34 comments:

  1. I understand this completely. Music plays a huge part for me and my writing. However, the little project I'm working on at the moment comes with no soundtrack, which, to me, is pretty bizarre. I'm working on the whole silent claustrophobia thing and listening to music while writing just doesn't get me in that mindset. It's a first.

    Inertia Creeps by Massive Attack, on the other hand, is my other main character to a T. She was born listening to that song :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine was silent too, until that moment. You never know when it will hit. I have one character (in a book that is still just a rough) who has no interest in music, she's pretty uptight and boring.

      Delete
  2. Never knew any of that about Petty. Songs sure can spur a lot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw an interview with him years ago when I was still a teen. He really is one of the coolest guys.

      Delete
  3. I didn't know he did that. Bet they were glad they gave him a better contract.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the quick nutshell version, I'm sure there was more legalese to it than I mentioned, but I remember hearing an interview on TV with an industry pro who said other industry leaders would have loved to hold Petty down, but knew he'd take it grassroots and they'd never beat him. I do love a righteous rebel!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for having me over Angela!! You're the sweetest :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth's books are wonderful to read. I still think about her story Healing Summer. Very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your MC, Jo, sounds like a down-to-earth, gal, Elizabeth! I'm not surprised I love her, just by reading the blurb! Your characters are always accessible. Congrats on your release!

    Hi, Angela! *waves*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is down to earth. Her mother is a bit of a child, so Jo must be wise to survive.

      Delete
  7. Your MC, Jo, sounds like a down-to-earth, gal, Elizabeth! I'm not surprised I love her, just by reading the blurb! Your characters are always accessible. Congrats on your release!

    Hi, Angela! *waves*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love that! And I didn't know that story about Tom Petty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a little more complicated than my nutshell version, but it's awesome. He's a true artist!

      Delete
  9. What a great story! I never heard that about Tom Petty, and I love how telling about it helped you find Jo - who apparently belongs among the wild flowers :) Looks like a good book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wild Flowers. Best song ever. Must go add that to the downloads! Thanks for the reminder :)

      Delete
  10. Dang I love the song! I actually got to see Tom Petty once :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm more than a little jealous. I bet that was an awesome concert.

      Delete
  11. I really enjoyed the song, and remember hearing some time back. I bet it does fit Jo perfectly. I love the Outer Banks... I may have to peek at this book a little longer than a blurb (smile).
    Thanks Angela!
    Best wishes, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Outer Banks too. I've been vacationing there since before I can remember. I was just a baby playing in the surf. Love it.

      Delete
  12. I didn't know any of that about Tom Petty. How inspiring! I love how Jo was birthed too. Rock on, Elizabeth.

    Thanks, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW what an inspiring true story! And I love that you found your character in Tom Petty's music, Elizabeth. That's amazing. It really is awesome how music affects us and our writing. There are certain pieces of music that I hear that usually get my imagination going like mad - especially the Harry Potter theme tune ;)
    Great blog, Angela! Nice to e-meet you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Music is like adrenaline to the muse. Amazing how musicians come up with such marvels.

      Delete
  14. Congrats, Elizabeth. I need some of that money Petty has. That would help me in my 'publishness' pursuit.

    Hey, Angela. *waves madly*

    ReplyDelete
  15. Raised on peanut butter and promises. What a great description! I love how inspiration comes from all walks of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I liked that too. Glad you did too.

      Delete
  16. Love it when characters come with their sound track :) Thanks for sharing all that and congrats.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.