Monday, October 26, 2015

Champagne Wishes and Caviar Dreams

...do not make a person rich, but a person of monetary wealth could certainly have these things as part of their daily lives.

Every now and then, I step back and take stock of where I am in life's journey. For me, it's my own introspective Thanksgiving. Often, I find myself content that I'm not the "stuff" of a Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous episode. Perhaps it's because my version of splurging is going to the store and getting two packs of applewood bacon instead of one. Or I think I'm just spending willy nilly if I get the e-copy and paperback versions of a story.

What? Both? Yes, big baller lol!!

Along with re-affirming my appreciation for my simple struggle of a life:
 - a daughter who loves me and has yet to reach the stage of wanting to hang with her friends more than me
 - a dog that gives me a ticker tape parade of happy when I come home from work
 - a small but sound home that does a decent job of protecting us from the whimsies of wind, rain and scorching heat
 - breath of life

...I am grateful for my writing. Although my publications have not rendered me to a state of wealth where champagne is a daily reality, my daily reality is better because I've moved from dreamer to doer.

And that's what I'd like to encourage you to do today.

What is your version of "champagne wishes and caviar dreams?" What are you doing to move those ideas and concepts from dream to reality?

Here's a virtual treat to help fuel the body and mind :-)
Credit to ThinkStock.com

12 comments:

  1. When I look back, it's not the expensive things I've bought that gave me pleasure but the simpler ones.

    Right now, I'm happy when I can take a day off and watch old movies all day. If only the husband would make all the meals. :le sigh:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the little things that can bring so much joy :-)

      Delete
  2. It's great to be thankful for the most important things in life like you do. My splurging is like yours--nothing fancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to keep this same mindset even if my financial situation improves.

      Delete
  3. Those all sound like great things to possess!
    The greatest pleasure comes from friends, and you can't buy those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many things that have the best value can't be defined by dollar bills.

      Delete
  4. Last weekend my definition of splurging was to get three $25 novelty shirts for my son instead of plain $9 JC Penny clothes. Yeah, thats the life when your teen smiles and says "thanks mom!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. There was a time when I felt like I couldn't get enough money, and every dollar that came my way disappeared into the black hole. Now I thrill at the challenge of living on as little as possible and I am MUCH happier than I was in my spending years. Money is overrated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had much desire for one of those huge mansions, and I don't get the point of fancy cars. I just don't see the appeal. When we *really* splurge on a champagne wish in my family, it usually means replacing the kitchen countertop, or buying new bookshelves. Right now we dream about screening in our deck or reconfiguring our laundry room to make better use of the space. Pretty humble things, all told. And things we wait and save for.

    It took us 12 years to get around to the bookshelves ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I could really get going on all the things I would do with a lot of money:) Mostly travel really. Though I think if I had a ton of money, I wouldn't be super over the top. I'd definitely give a lot to charity. I'm with you, it's so important to practice gratitude for what you have and move firmly towards whatever makes you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All wonderful things. I am grateful for my loving son and husband and our little house and the chance to stay home with my son and to write.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.