Wednesday, October 7, 2015

IWSG - The Writing Life

First Wednesday of the month brings the opportunity to share in the wonderful world of IWSG. IWSG - Insecure Writers Support Group - is the brainchild of Ninja Captain Alex Cavanaugh and it has been very helpful in giving me an avenue, a channel, in seeing that I am not alone in my feelings of insecurity as an author. Click here to visit blogs where others are sharing good news, inspiration or perhaps purging something from their souls so they can feel better.

Seriously, IWSG rocks!

Right now, you can even get in on the IWSG Anthology Contest. Click here for details.

As for my IWSG post of today, it's pretty short. I'm in the middle of edits for DOBB. One truth about edits is that if you go into the process with your ego in hand, thinking it's about to get stroked, be prepared. It may be a good idea to have ego duct tape nearby. The second truth about edits is that, when handled with an open mind ready for improvement, stories become more solid, stronger. Not just good, but really good, even great.

What about you? How do you handle edits? Got any helpful tips to share in making the editing process more bearable for those of us who aren't so keen on edits?

18 comments:

  1. I love editing and have learned to be less stubborn about taking suggestions for improvements. Hope yours go well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the suggested edits might sting a little when I first hear them, but then I calm down and get to work. Amazing things happen when you edit and I actually like editing more than facing a blank page. Tackling one problem at a time feels easier than creating something from thin air.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate the comments and suggestions I get from editing partners (You! LOL!). They're always insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I go into edits both equally optimistic that the story is awesome and pessimistic by thinking the editor/reader hated it and it's all wrong because I have no clue what I'm doing. LOL! Of course, I am usually wrong on both accounts and know that applying the changes that work for the story will make the story stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ego Duct tape - I like that!
    I usually go into it expecting the worst and am pleasantly surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made me laugh about the ego duct tape. I will try to keep that on hand next time I go through an editing process.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ego duct tape - snort. For me, edits start out miserable, but once I've internalized the advice it unlocks the next level for me. Like a video game. Mine Craft for writers. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm busy editing and I have my ego dustbin, not just duct tape lol.

    Sorry to leave a link, Blogger won't allow my wordpress comment:
    Daily (w)rite

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome, good luck with the editing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had me at the mention of duct tape! But in all seriousness, first drafts are for writers and the rest are for the readers. There's no room for ego.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You had me at the mention of duct tape! But in all seriousness, first drafts are for writers and the rest are for the readers. There's no room for ego.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I grit my teeth and glue my butt to the chair. Then I post a Do Not Disturb sign at the door and pretend I'm alone in the world with my book. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your idea of ego duct tape. Edits are a necessary part of the writing process....that's how I try to look at it when writing a screenplay. It's when the writings on the page come to life that ego must be checked at the door. Kevin Smith put it best when he said "kill your babies!" and although he was referring to footage that belongs on the editing room floor, I'd like to think the same applies to writing novels.

    Taming the ego is what will get a writer in any discipline to the next stage of the process because that's what it's all about, right?! Having the right things in the right place in terms of story, characters and their purposes throughout the WIP. Just keep on trucking along and you'll find that rhythm where everything just clicks :)

    - Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ego duct tape... I like it :) Sometimes my stuff is not as bad as I think it will be when I go to edit, and sometimes it's worse! No coping techniques other than just doing it. Push through, get it done. It's a necessary evil.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.