Monday, January 4, 2016

2016 is Underway

Unless you've chosen to ignore it, a new year is here. 2016 arrived with all the fanfare various big cities, neighborhood fireworks displayers, and rootin-tootin-shooting gun owners could muster. Unlike last year, I decided to begin the new year with more of a "life inspiration" vision board than a goals board.

I gave myself permission to consider myself starting with a clean slate.


Then, after much searching, page flipping through magazines, tearing pages from magazines, and dreaming, I started cutting. I intended to be wild and unorganized in setting up my vision board, but my daughter smiled at me as she noted, "It's really organized, mom," while I was putting the puzzle pieces together on the poster board.

I gave it the old tilted head stare and was almost about to admonish myself for it's organization until I smiled and answered, "That's me...and that's okay." Even in the middle of trying to be crazy and wild, several somethings rang true from doing the vision board.

 - Some have a vision and live without ever trying to make it happen for so many reasons, which is why the vision board is such a lofty activity. It's my visual reminder to "keep going."
 - Visions shouldn't be bound to a one year timeline, but of making strides in life, growing more and learning that embracing who and what you are is truly the best and biggest growth of all.
 - My vision is for me. I had plans of Chipmunk doing a vision board like me, except she wanted to do a "Likes and Wants" board. Instead of trying to make her do as I said she should do, I opened my mind to letting her do what she wanted. This wasn't homework, an exam or anything, but something she can wake to in the mornings and enjoy. And it was another reminder for me as a parent that it isn't my job to make her be me, but to encourage her in being her very best her. Plus, she's eleven years old. Just us being together was a nice time for her... and for me, too.

What about you? Any plans, resolutions or goals for 2016?

26 comments:

  1. Organized is better. It means you have focus.

    I have a plan for a new blog, but I'm being thwarted by host providers. Every time I settle on one, I find some disturbing aspect that makes me back up. I'm down to three that look promising.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't do resolutions, but I do plan on getting better organized. Does that count? Your vision board looks great.

    Happy New Year, Angela!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bish, that totally counts. No resolutions for me either. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  3. I gave up doing resolutions for health and fitness changes because I always failed so I just do the best I can throughout the year. But for writing, I submitted a novel yesterday and I resolve to try my hand at short fiction again. I've been very lax in that department. I also plan to start a new, adult cozy mystery novel I've been longing to do. I like the vision board--I need to make one of those, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your novel submission. Sending good vibes for great results in all you attempt!

      Delete
  4. I don't do new year resolutions, rather goals for the year ahead. I love vision boards, which is one of the reasons I like Pinterest so much. Yours looks fabulous, Angela. Also, a fun activity for you and Chipmunk to do together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun doing our boards together. Wishing you the best with your goals :-)

      Delete
  5. That's nice your daughter made one and did it her way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to start your new year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love your vision board! I like that you're not limiting it to a one-year time limit. Some visions take baby steps. You showed great wisdom with Chipmunk - I can't tell you how exciting and wonderful it is to have daughters who grow up making their own choices, and are smart, generous, and awesome people! Just apply a guiding hand once in a while and always remind her of your love, pride, and trust in her.

    I got a bit mushy, but I felt inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your words are a welcome in my files as I tuck them very nearby for easy access.

      Delete
  8. That's great you let Chipmunk do her vision board her way. I don't have any resolutions or visions this year, but am really looking forward to a happy year with a lot of good changes in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishing you the very best for the new year to come, Natalie :-)

      Delete
  9. I consider myself unorganized also, but when I look at finished projects (from work, housecleaning, writing, decorating) a plan or theme usually develops. Being a pantster in life doesn't mean totally scattered :)

    Nice that you recognized spending tie with your daughter and seeing how she looks at the world is more important than the actual task. I like learning from my daughter - especially now that she has her own family.

    Happy New Year Angela :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, you've just give me something to look forward to. Happy New Year to you as well!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. YAY for more books! That gym, well then, you go for it!

      Delete
  11. So nice you and Chipmunk could do this activity together, each in your own way :) And I envy your ability to be organized!!! I think I need some lessons from you :) Happy happy New Year, Angela!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you as well :-) Not sure it I'm the best to give lessons for organizing, but I would certainly be glad to help!

      Delete
  12. I'm laughing over your "wild and crazy" board being highly organized. Mine would be too. There's no use fighting the way your brain produces creativity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I started with the intention, but it's good to embrace what's just a part of who you are :-)

      Delete
  13. I love your vision board!!! I think I could get into making one of those. Thanks for the wonderful idea. :)
    And, I love your thoughts on your parenting. It's hard for me to remember sometimes, but I'm glad my kids have their own thoughts and their own visions for life. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll find making the vision board is so much fun.

      Delete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.