Monday, April 11, 2016

Monday Spotlight

Mondays I can always use a great pick-me-up, and what better way than to shed some light on a fellow author. Welcome Evernight Teen author, Nicky Peacock.

Tell me about this series, how did it come about?
Battle of the Undead is a vampires VS zombies urban fantasy and it was born from my need to read a story just like it. I'm an avid reader (I think most writers are) and loved reading vampire and zombie books, but struggled to find one where they were pitted against one another. I thought, hey if I want to read this, then others might too. So I wrote it. As monsters, zombies and vampires are very different, but both feed on humans - that means if they happen to collide, they're going to be fighting over just the one food source...us.

Who is your heroine and what are some of the conflicts she faces?
My heroine is called Britannia. She's a 400 year old vampire who is used to living on her own. She's hated her sire, Nicholas ever since he turned her then killed her fiance and family (or did he?) she's stubborn and has a dry sense of humor. She's being forced to work with old enemies and old friends to save their food source from the zombie uprising - the problem is she likes her blood free range and isn't too keen on delivering people to her Elders who have a much more inhumane blood supply chain in mind. Fortunately for us humans, Brit can kick serious butt and she's done taking orders.


Who is the hero and what conflicts does he face?
There are several heroes in the series, although my personal favorite is the unknown aged vampire Nicholas. He's not what he appears and his true motives are only just bubbling to the surface. He's done some pretty nasty things, but killing Brit's family isn't one of them. He took on that villain mantle to keep Brit focused on fighting and in his life, but what if he's hiding something else, something worse? 

Where did you get the idea for the story? Who or what was your inspiration?
My next series is The Twisted and the Brave and the first book is called, Lost in Wonderland; it's out in April this year. The inspiration for this one was a little different from Battle of the Undead. Last year was Alice in Wonderland's 150th anniversary and I decided to re-read the book. I had forgotten how much I had loved it as a little girl, but reading it as an adult, I saw there were darker themes running through it. I wanted to create something that had these themes, but was set in our world and time. So, for the first time in my writing career I wrote a contemporary thriller - except, I'm all about the supernatural, so added a dash of the paranormal in there too. I created a story that has serial killers, monsters, imaginary friends and a group of dangerous vigilantes that call themselves Wonderland.

QUICK-FIRE QUESTIONS

Plotter or pantser? Plotter with a dash of pants

Neat freak or messy Jessie? Neat freak

Favorite book? soooo many...right now I'm loving Kiera Cass' The Selection series

Favorite author? Keri Arthur 

Greatest phobia? Getting lost


Thanks for having me on your site!

My pleasure, Nicky. Get to know more about this fantastic author and her books by checking out her haunts:

5 comments:

  1. Congrats to Nicky on her book. That would be a lot of backstory to know about a character if they are 400 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to Nicky! It sounds fantastic. I'm a big fan of Keri Arthur too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Nicky! Interesting post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plotter with a dash of pants... LOL. That's me, too. Congrats, Nicky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that I think about it, I can't recall any vampire versus zombie stories. Most involve werewolves instead.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.