Wednesday, August 3, 2016

IWSG & a Different D & D

The Insecure Writer’s Support Group
  
Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time.

Our Twitter is @TheIWSG and hashtag #IWSG

I believe a question is being provided if you're having difficulty with content for today's post. It can be hard sometimes, sharing. For today, though, I have a message that is just as much for myself as it is for others struggling with this writer's life.

Doubt and disappointment are not your friends. They take and there is no giving of anything but more negative. Their goals are to hurt you, not help you. They happen naturally, and are rather hard to avoid, even when things seem to be going your way. And those times when the chips are falling, they are there to distract you from letting go and letting God so that you are too blind and hurt to recognize your "chips falling into place" (Casting Crowns).

Things are a little hard now, okay, so been this way for a while, but writing and life are not sprints. They are journeys to undertake for the long haul. Purge doubt and disappointment from your system in a way that works for you. Chocolate, wine, and stacking word count on a story are some pretty good avenues to start that purge

What are some ways you work through/deal with doubt and disappointment?

17 comments:

  1. For me, disappointment stems from anticipating/having expectations about something and then being disappointed when the thing/person/situation doesn't meet my expectations. I learned a long time ago to work toward simply accepting things as they are and hence I have few disappointments.

    Doubt, however, has been a much harder nut to crack, and one I'm still chipping away at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sending cheese your way. It can be so easy to fall into the doubt train. Getting off is both terrifying and difficult, and usually results in a few scrapes, but once they heal? Well, that's what it's about, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really spoke to me. In my IWSG post I say that I am feeling discouraged. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, it depends on how deep the disappointment runs. If it's just bad luck, I roll with the punches, but if it's the kind where someone else let me down, I have to mourn a little before I get back up.

    Either way, I give myself a little time for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen, girlfriend! The best we can do is keep moving forward and try not to look back. There will always be disappointments, and for that, there is chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Letting go and letting God - so true!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good friends can help with doubt and disappointment. Sometimes talking things out can make it easier. At least until the next wave of doubts and disappointments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that take on the chips falling. Beautiful message, Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely message, I had to read it twice. Doubt never goes away, so I simply try my best to shove a rag into its mouth and ignore it. Sometimes that works better than others. As to disappointment, that hurts and often takes others to help smooth it over and see the light. What a good thing we have support groups such as this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Belonging to the IWSG community helps to conquer those doubts and disappointments. Keep beaming that beautiful smile Angela! And, thanks so much for sharing your words of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. First off ensure that feelings of doubt are not a warning sign of issues to come instead of stumbling blocks. Then go about kicking that sucker's butt so you can get back to work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found letting go and letting God is a way better plan. He's just so much smarter than me. The only time I feel a very deep sting of disappointment is when I do something amazingly stupid and have only myself to blame. Then there is chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi,
    I love the line: Writing and life are not sprints. How true that is. It is a marathon that you train for again and again with each hurdle that you face.
    All the best.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you to everyone for such encouraging words back to me and I'm glad this message is well received. I hope anyone reading it shares it on to someone or anyone else going through some things.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So true. I think creative minds continually battle those twin dragons. I look for things to celebrate no matter how small to chase them away.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Doubt is what makes us human, so I try to approach it with moderation. A little is good, but if I feel too much I learn to ignore it:)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.