Monday, August 29, 2016

What to Make of Dreams

Dreams can be pretty complicated things, not just the ones we have and pursue, but the ones that occupy our minds during sleep.

I typically do not remember mine. As I awake, the moment shatters and flutters to the fringes of my mind like a million migrating butterflies. Yet this weekend, I had a different experience.

I awoke at 0'dark thirty, pitch black of night. That happens a lot. Nothing new there. What startled me was a sense of sadness and determination clawing at my heart. For once, the picture in my mind, the last moment of my dream, wasn't breaking apart. It was as clear and poignant as the picture of the flower I've added to this post. I sat up in my bed wondering what to do. I stay prepared to jot down story ideas by keeping post it notes handy. But what needed to escape me was more than a two or three line concept.

So I scurried around in the dark, not wanting to turn on the lights in the house and accidentally awake my daughter. Upon finding a free notebook (I have a few and all of them are currently occupied with thoughts I note as they come to me), and a pen, I started pouring the feelings out of me aided by candlelight.

Three pages of free hand writing later, and I felt sleepy again, ready to curl back under my blanket. I read my words only once, and goodness, they are a sloppy looking affair lol! But the story is one that tackles a few serious issues and isn't my comfort zone. There aren't any vampires, fae, angels, or demons. But good and evil are at work, and I'm glad I have several other projects to do before getting to this one. I'm going to need the time to prepare for it.

What has been your experiences with dreams? Do you remember them? Have any with a recurring theme? What do you do about them?

14 comments:

  1. I remember some dreams, and in the past I've had recurring dreams. Some I've written down. If I do have a dream I remember I like to try to figure out what it means because I believe dreams are messages from the unconscious. I've read and studied just enough Jungian psychology to understand some of the archetypal symbolism. It's fascinating stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you were able to jot a lot down. If I remember my dreams, they are either really weird or really boring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep a dream journal as well. My dream life is quite active.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like something momentous came to you. Must have been really powerful to have you up scribbling notes at dark-thirty. Can't wait to see what it is.

    Sometimes I remember my dreams, sometimes I don't. It sort of goes in cycles. Some of my dreams are recurring--the water ones. I understand those are linked to emotions. Lots of that going on as I attempt to navigate this crazy world. Sometimes I get the ones that need to be remembered and written down. Often when I have a writing plot issue the answer will come to me during that twilight time between sleeping and waking. It's kind of like once you quit fretting and relax, the answer comes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this sounds like it could end up leading to an amazing story!!
    My first book was inspired by a dream so I am always hoping for more dreams that bring ideas along with them. So far they are letting me down LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds cool:) I don't remember my dreams much anymore...usually because there's a crying baby waking me up in the next room:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've started a few stories with images from dreams, and it's interesting. I've done the get up in the middle of night thing, too. Most of my writing is so sloppy that I can't even read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting the way different people react to and work with the dreams they have. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep a notepad by my bed to jot notes. It's more often the stuff that comes to me when I'm struggling to fall asleep than dreams, though I do have vivid dreams. A few dreams have turned into stories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah the only dreams I usually remember dare daydreams. Rarely do I remember dreams when I wake up from the good ol' sleep. Congrats on getting a new idea jotted down Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Read like a gorgeous story... loved this. (And glad to be back... I've missed your blog...) :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes I have dreams in which I know I am dreaming and try to wake up. Usually, this is in a dream where something is going wrong or something bad has happened. I tell myself that I don't have to finish the story. I can wake up. Sometimes that actually works, but other the dream tightens its hold, determined to take me along for the entire ride.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Writing a dream down like you did is the best and usually the only way to remember them. I was doing well at this when I was keeping my dream blog active. Now I dream a lot, but I forget most of what I dream. Mostly my dreams are about traveling or wandering around strange places. Often I dream that I'm back on the road with a show.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to better about remembering dreams, now I'm just happy if I remember to wake up. Ha!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.