Wednesday, September 7, 2016

IWSG and Getting it In

The first Wednesday of the month can sometimes sneak up on us and we're back to another post for IWSG. Click here for the details of this wonderful group and for visiting other great blogs that participate.

In this writing life, one of the struggles we deal with is finding time to write. And that is this month's question: How do you find the time to write in your busy day?

Honestly, there are days that I don't. After...
getting up at 6:30 in the morning...
dropping my kiddo off at school...
then going straight to work...
spending lunchtime taking care of my dog and scrapping together a piecemeal lunch out of leftovers to heat up and munch on once I hurry back to work...
then pick up my kiddo after work...
prepare and eat dinner...
review homework...
and catch up on e-mails...
I barely have the energy let alone the desire to have a butt-in-chair session knocking out words on my work in progress. But that is what I try to do, at least 2 to 3 nights out of the week after I ensure my kiddo is in bed resting. I'm trying to do more by spending time being present with her and investing in our relationship now, something that has grown to become very important to me. On the weekend, I work on scheduling blog posts, critiquing any items I've committed to critiquing, and getting in some real butt-in-chair sessions. It makes for slower going on the writing front, but it's better than the procrastinating I was doing before where I was getting nothing done.

Finding the time to write can be difficult in a busy day. But it can be done.
*I've read of some parents going to the school pick up line a few minutes early so they can get in some writing.
*If your job isn't too demanding, you can sometimes sneak in a few paragraphs on your WIP. Just keep it on your handy dandy thumb drive to keep with you.
*If your lunch isn't like mine and eaten up by travel and dog maintenance time, then you can work in some words.
*I'm not an early to bed, early to rise person. I crawl under the covers and am eventually overtaken by sleep. I wake up at some awful time of 0'dark thirty then spend the time dosing in and out of sleep until my alarm goes off. But if you are early to bed, rising early is a good time to work in some word count before the birds began to chirp.

So tell me, what do you do to get the writing in?

15 comments:

  1. Yes, when you work full time and are a single mom, you have to squeeze in the writing. I admire you so much for how you keep on doing it with your hectic life. I know, because mine was so much like yours until my daughter graduated from high school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to write during my lunch hour. But kids are a whole other layer--and one you can't ignore.

    At least D is getting older now and she doesn't need mom for everything. That in itself can be bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I even use my speech to text function on my phone and write ideas while driving. *gasp* When something is important enough to us, we find the time, eh?

    Way to sneak in some times, but more importantly, way to put priority on what matters most! I think that takes extreme courage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You won't regret the time you spend with Chipmunk. Let her be your motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I take my iPad everywhere, and I do mean everywhere. I use Scrivo Pro or Simple note and write away and then when I get home, or get up, I sync it to Scrivener.
    All the best.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat Garcia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes you have to sneak in a few moments here and there to write. I'm lucky my job gives me an opportunity to write. Of course, even then, there are days when the day job takes all my time and I have to write after work, but I know the time is there. I just have to use it wisely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get it in when I can. Some days are better than others but if you want to be a writer, you need to write. Glad to see you are working in some writing time between taking care of your sweet little chipmunk. She's valuable of course.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I understand how you feel. Raised 5 daughters on my own. I keep to a strict schedule and shoot for a 1000 words 5 days a week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're one busy woman! I'm like you when it comes to sleep. I am in awe of the writers who get up at 5:30 to write an hour.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always carry a thumb drive with my WIP stored on it so I can edit any time I'm by a computer. It's the only way I can squeeze in more writing time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know how you ever find any time. I have enough trouble taking care of my dog and cat let alone a child. Kudos for finding the time that you do and for churning out such great stories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I was still teaching full time and my kids were Chipmunk's age, I used to have one dedicated writing time in the week -- Monday nights from 7:30 to 9:00 -- and the family knew that was my time to write uninterrupted. I got a lot done in that time too, after saving it up all week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's tough when life gets busy. I use public transit to commute, and that's a big time for me to get writing/reading done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've got to watch the clock and force myself to stay with it for a minimum of 30 minutes a day. Once I do that, I'll usually lengthen it out to an hour or longer.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.