Wednesday, October 5, 2016

IWSG and Do You Know?

The Insecure Writer’s Support Group
Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time. Be sure to link to this page and display the badge in your post.

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Our Twitter is @TheIWSG and hashtag #IWSG

Now that you know about IWSG, let's get on to the Question of the Month:
When do you know your story is ready?
For those able to deliver something profound and enlightening or causes others to have epiphanies, I commend you. My answer?
I don't know.

Like Mrs. Incredible in this clip, I'm unsure, terrified to know, but in the end - after edits, revisions, revisions of revisions, revisions based on beta feedback and crying about having so many doubts - there's only one way to know (you may need to turn the speakers up a bit after the ad):
Now, let's say you pushed the button and found out that your story may not be perfect, or may not spark an agent or editor war to win your story. It's okay. Here's Edna with a bit of pep talk for you.
Maybe Edna's talk is a little strong, but she's not wrong. You are a writer. By the very desire of wanting to publish and share your story, you are entering a world where rejection is par for the course. Getting to that sacred "yes" from an agent or editor (or first the one then the other, whatever you're choosing to do), well, you have to look in your heart to see if it's worth the fight.

I'll admit, some days I wonder, but then I'm back on the computer bringing up my latest WiP, tapping out more words, exciting myself with some new plot twist pouring from my fingertips and I know...

The story is worth the fight.

I'm worth the fight.

So with each story, I reach a point where I simply have to push the button.

What about you? When do you know your story is ready?

20 comments:

  1. Well now I'm ready to go conquer the writing world thanks to Edna's pep talk!! You're right, we are worth the fight and so are our stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All we can do is send it out and see what happens. Someone will let us know if it's undercooked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I don't know" Is a perfect answer. And "It's okay" is just right. Sometimes things don't happen the way we want them to and when we want them to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true what Chrys said about writing and our lives. I think you and I know that lesson well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post! I rely a lot of my CPs to tell me to stop nitpicking and publish the story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted to pull my first book off the market and rewrite it, my publisher didn't agree and refused. They just never feel perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the clips and Edna knows how to fight for what you want. Best pep talk ever. Win!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have gone back to books I've published and realized I could do them better and have re-edited to make them better. Others I've pulled because I know I can do better but haven't found the time to do so. Of course, I don't recommend this with most projects. Sometimes we do the best we can, and hopefully the next book will be even better to show how we've grown as a writer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a perfectionist, so I could nitpick forever. But there is a point where I realize I am nitpicking, and then, that's the point at which I just.have.to.stop. When I get to the point I'm just rearranging things, or worse... It's time to stop and move on to the next project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, you and your story are worth the fight! I can't wait for the next Fable Ranger, btw - something made me think of it the other day and remember how much I loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. When my revisions have come down to me changing single words, changing them back, then reversing my decision, I know the story is ready for the next step -- whether that is beta readers, or my agent, or my editor.

    ReplyDelete
  12. CPs help me for sure! I love what you said about you being worth it. I think that's so important, to love writing even if it's hard and the industry can be brutal. Creating something is beautiful and definitely worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally love the Incredibles and especially Edna! And you've got the whole thing right, Angela. We must write for ourselves, to please ourselves, to tell the stories within us that want to be told. If they meet with editor and reader approval, so much the better, but ultimately that is not why we write. We write because we can't imaging not writing. And I'm not sure how I know when something is ready... maybe I just think it's as good as I can make it right now. But I'll tell you, I don't think there's ever really an end to possible revision :) I have published work where I look at it years later and think, hmm... I should have changed this word, or said that differently :) But that's because I've learned and grown as a writer in the intervening time. So for right here, right now, we do the best we can!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Edna! No b.s. and straight to the point! My story is ready when I say it's ready - tinkering with it right up until the deadline. The story is definitely worth the fight.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your last paragraph. It is worth the fight. You're so right. Every bit of my writing is worth the fight.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL, sometimes you need someone to whack you upside the head to make you see sense. Never give up!!! There are always options. Keep pushing forward! (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  17. Liked the Incredibles references, a great film! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Edna rocks! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.