Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Last IWSG of 2016

Posting: The first Wednesday of every month is officially Insecure Writer’s Support Group day. Post your thoughts on your own blog. Talk about your doubts and the fears you have conquered. Discuss your struggles and triumphs. Offer a word of encouragement for others who are struggling. Visit others in the group and connect with your fellow writer - aim for a dozen new people each time. Click here to check out other posts.

Let’s rock the neurotic writing world!

Our Twitter is @TheIWSG and hashtag #IWSG

And we’re revving up IWSG Day to make it more fun and interactive! Every month, there is a question that members can answer in their IWSG Day post.
Question: In terms of your writing career, where do you see yourself five years from now, and what’s your plan to get there?

Five years ago, I was just thrilled to be a part of the blogging world.

Five years from now...?

A friend recently, and unexpectedly, lost his son. I'm feeling a stronger desire to hold my daughter a little more, sit with her, spend time together. Be present.

The doors just closed on a small press where I had one of my stories. There are a lot of people who have been there, done that in regards to that. So not hopping up and down with joy about my prospects when it comes to publishing.

If nothing else, five years from now, I'll still be writing, still sharing my stories in whatever avenue is best for me. 

So, what about you, where do you see yourself in five years?

26 comments:

  1. Sorry about your friend's loss. Losing a child is so heartbreaking. Yes, spending time with your daughter is so important. Hold onto your dream and you'll make it, maybe in the way you envisioned. I just want to keep writing at my job, which I love, and figure out the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be without my Chipmunk. She means so much to me. So yeah, spending time with her has grown in importance. And yes, still holding on to my writing dream :-)

      Delete
  2. re: Be present.

    There is no better advice. At the end of my life I doubt I'll be concerned with what I accomplished, but rather did I leave the world a better place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure how much of an impact I make, but I hope and pray that in some small way, I've made a positive difference for someone :-)

      Delete
  3. I had a small press close up shop on me too. That was a few years ago. It was disappointing, but I already knew that business is tough for small presses, so I wasn't too surprised.

    My take away from the experience was that I must be doing something right; otherwise, I wouldn't have gotten as far as I got. If I just keep writing... and if you just keep writing... sooner or later circumstances will work out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouraging words, James. I will keep writing :-)

      Delete
  4. Prayers for your friend. That definitely puts it all in perspective, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about your friend's son. Losing my child is my greatest fear in life. And for the pub closing, it's a hard world out there for publishers, big and small, unfortunately. Wishing you the best w/your writing in the coming year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Leandra. I wouldn't know what to do if I lost my Chipmunk. And thank you for the writing well-wishes. I can definitely use them :-)

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's son. Yes, hug your daughter and all of your loved ones tighter. We should all do the same. I'm also sorry about the small press. It is alarming how many are closing. I fear for my own publisher. I'm sending prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the small presses that closed have been a surprise to me. But the publishing business is tough. You win some, you lose some.

      Delete
  7. One day at a time, going with the flow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Been there, done that with the publisher closing their doors. I hope you find a new home.

    And hug your daughter close. Savors those moments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will see what I can do about finding a new home for my story... slow and steady. And I hope I don't become too clingy to my daughter. I just don't want to let my time with her pass by without making sure she knows I love her.

      Delete
  9. So sorry about your friend's loss. It really does make you realise that life is precious, and we should be ambitious but also take time to just savour the moment. There seem to be a lot of small presses shutting shop. But we just need to keep on. Dropping in as co-host for this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thasks so much for stopping by and I agree with you wholeheartedly.

      Delete
  10. Publishers come and go. That's one reason why I stick with self-publishing. Even if a retailer closes down, I still have the ability to find another way to get my story out there without having to worry about getting rights back and the like. Best of luck, Angela!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your answer to the IWSG question Angela. I didn't even touch it. Just stuck with my fun movie mix post this month. So sorry about your friend losing her son. Glad your chipmunk is okay. Publishing houses rise and fall. All the best finding new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Angela for pointing out the important parts of life - family, writing for the joy of it.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My sympathies about your friend's loss. Makes me want to hug my little guy too. My publisher closed as well. We must just keep pushing forward. You are a fantastic writer. You can do this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I honestly try not to think about 5 years from now. The more I keep my writing about the here and now and find meaning in it today, the better I generally feel:) Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.