Wednesday, January 4, 2017

First IWSG of 2017

It's the first Wednesday of January, which means it's IWSG posting and sharing time. It's also the first IWSG of 2017. To get all the details and for the list of other blogs to visit and comment, click here.

With 2016 gone and 2017 here, reflecting on the past is on my brain. My thoughts have taken me back many years to a night when I was a 19 year old college student. That evening was ripe, I was stoked to dress for dancing and visit a couple of clubs with friends.

But such was not meant to be.

That night brought the beginning of a pain that, unfortunately, doesn't show signs of ever leaving, rather ebbing and flowing with my emotions. It could be described with all manner of words, but not exactly captured, no matter the wordsmith phrasing. And it was a screeching hard stop to my life as I knew it.

Since that night, I've learned to start life over. I've had to do it a few times, such as when my marriage fairy tale crash landed in reality and I became a divorced, single mom.

Seems there is a need to begin again, only this time, regarding my writing.

I'm a little scared.

Actually...

A lot scared.

It would be so easy to let go of this writing thing, to enjoy having published myself and being published by a few small publishers...

To just -

STOP.

But the ideas won't stop coming. The characters won't stop speaking. And, well, I love this. Even though I suck at marketing and selling books, I'm a story teller. So here I go, beginning again.

If your writing world is doing great, I pray 2017 continues to bring you good things and prosperity.

If you're anything like me and your writing world more closely resembles a beautiful catastrophe, know you are not alone. I recommend seeing the movie Sing. Seriously. It's a cartoon movie but believe me when I say it has a heart-touching message, quite a few, actually.

I've got a lot of work ahead of me for 2017, but what about you? What are your hopes for 2017? Are you struggling with something? Feel free to use the comments section to vent a little. We all need to get things off of our chests sometimes.

24 comments:

  1. I'm in that stage of rebuilding/reinventing my life that you've gone through more than once. It's hard to do, especially since I haven't done it before.

    Good luck with your writing goals. Glad you are not giving up. Even if you don't achieve all the sales you want, you are a good writer and creative. So don't give up! You'll be glad you have it when your daughter grows up and you have more time to devote to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rebuilding can be work but definitely worth the while.

      Delete
  2. I can't imagine not writing because like you, the ideas keep coming. I probably have more ideas I can use in my whole life - unless I write really really fast, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the time one idea is written all the way, there'll be so many others waiting in the wings, even if you write really fast lol!

      Delete
  3. As I read this I'm reminded of Van Gogh. In his lifetime he did 900 paintings and over 1000 sketches.

    He sold only ONE.

    Don't give up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could say I had his talent, but perhaps I can comfortably say I have his persistence. :-)

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year, Angela!
    Sometimes a writer goes through some very dark tunnels. We don't understand why, but if we didn't go through them we would never be able to help anyone. Our books would be lifeless. Those trials that you are experiencing right now puts life in your characters as you write. People will read your books and relate to what you're writing and say, I've been there too.
    So hang in there. Keep on writing and keep looking ahead.
    I am wishing you an awesome 2017.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat Garcia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this encouragement. I can really use it and hope your comment is an encouragement to others as well.

      Delete
  5. Onward and upward, eh? I think life is 1 part what happens to us, and 1 part what we make of that. There's always the possibility of spiraling, but building is the only way to go. Here's wishing you the best 2017, and the fortitude to keep on with your aspirations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishing you the best for your 2017 as well. Onward and upward!

      Delete
  6. You're strong, Angela. I've contemplated stopping, too. But I can't. Just can't. We'll both keep on. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Together, we'll keep giving readers stories and telling tales:-)

      Delete
  7. Nothing is going to keep you down.
    Stopping has occurred to me many times. I've even planned it. But who knows what the future will bring.
    Happy 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The future really isn't set in stone.

      Happy 2017!!

      Delete
  8. So long as you keep picking yourself up and moving forward, you're a champ to me:) And having constant writing inspiration from your characters doesn't hurt either;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the characters have made it clear they aren't going anywhere until their tales are told. Lol! Better get at it.

      Delete
  9. Hello Angela,
    May 2017 be the year that brings your writing dreams to fruition and fulfillment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The trials you've been true have helped shaped who you are today. Sorry for the pain but you being here today shows it didn't defeat you. Press on. The world and your precious Chipmunk needs you. Sending love and Happy New Year Angela.
    QueendSheena
    2017 IWSG January Co-Host

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Sheena-kay's comment and she captured what I was thinking while reading your post so well I can only say "ditto." Keep going, Angela. And I wish you and your Chipmunk all the happiness in the world in the year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can do this! You are an awesome writer. Here's to a grand 2017 for all of us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing this with us. I'm a great believer in whatever knocks us down in life makes us stronger, even if sometimes the pain can seem unbearable. I know staying strong can be a constant battle, but I cannot ever imagine you saying enough when it comes to your writing. Your strength shines through it, inspiring us all to overcome our personal demons and be true to ourselves. Don't let your talent be wasted.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your beautiful flowing rhythm shares so much of your college to mom to author years. Thanks for showing me such a good read, I've been doing this for years and believe me knowing is one thing but you know how to do it! In Klingon that leads to Qapla!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Spoken like a true writer. My son once asked me- do you think Poe would have stopped writing because people told him his work was too dark? Keep writing. We have until we're dead to make it.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.