Wednesday, May 3, 2017

IWSG and NOT Feeling Like an Author

I missed IWSG last month so I buckled down and got this post done because I did NOT want to miss another month. IWSG has been a source of maintaining sanity, being able to share on my blog and visit others each month. Click here so that you can hop along to other IWSG participants.

There is a question this month and it's mentioned at the site when you go there, but I wanted to share something a little personal.

I haven't tweeted in many weeks.

I haven't posted on Facebook about any of my books in what seems like months.

Um, and royalty checks? I did a rather piss-poor job when I was marketing because sales were always rather low then and are non-existent now (no exaggeration).

Actually, I got off of Facebook for Lent but cut it short to support The Un-Included Club's bid for the Seeds of Change grant in hopes they could make the first cut.

I haven't blogged as often as I used to.

There was a time where my daily schedule was one long day of ridiculousness from morning until midnight:

  • working a full time job
  • at home helping my daughter with homework
  • tweeting throughout the day even with some tweets pre-scheduled using Hootsuite
  • posting on Facebook about life and being positive and the availability of my books for young adults and the grown and sexy
  • researching marketing ideas and how I wished I could afford most of them but couldn't
  • jotting notes about new stories
  • working on the ones I needed to finish
  • blogging, reading blogs, and leaving comments
  • critiquing several writers works


Most days now I...

  • steal as much sleep in the morning as possible
  • work a very busy and exhausting full time job (had a different less active one a couple of years ago)
  • spend time with my daughter watching TV and reading
  • enjoy some Netflix and cuddles with my furbaby, Molly
  • every now and then get in some writing time.
  • go to sleep


You see what's missing in that new line-up? No marketing. None. It seems that from 2012 through 2015 when I was doing various things to market my books, all I managed to do was take time away from my daughter. Odd, since I got into this writing thing because I wanted to show her the importance of going for her dreams. Perhaps it is because she's becoming a teen and has grown so much I am fearful of missing anything at all.

So yeah, the writing hasn't stopped but I'm not feeling like an author. Actually, what would you say it means to be an author?

Please share your thoughts in the comments and let's have some chocolate while I deal with this and work my way back to my author-state-of-mind.

24 comments:

  1. You have still inspired her. Spending time with her is more important. Your writing will always be there when it's time to return to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spending time with Chipmunk is definitely more important. My characters haven't given up on me so I'll be patient :-)

      Delete
  2. It's fine to let the writing take a back seat while you spend more time with your daughter. Soon she'll be grown and off with her friends and at college. Then all you will have is time to write and market. Don't worry about it. Life is about changes and different phases. Yours is perfect for you right now.

    Miss having you around blogging, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss blogging like I used to as well. It was always so much fun getting to read and comment at various blogspots. But more time will be available sooner than I realize. Until then, I'll continue to write and enjoy time with my cutie pie.

      Delete
  3. Angela ... I don't like giving cyber hugs because they feel kind of cold, untouchable. (no pun) But here (((hugs))) We'll share one because I've been going through a similar thing. Your past and present schedules look very much like mine. Email me if you'd like to chat at some point. And remember - you are an amazing person, mother, and friend no matter how much writing you get done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (((Hugs))) to you S. A.!! It's certainly helpful even as a cyber hug :-)

      Delete
  4. There's definitely a point at which it becomes too much and we just have to back off. I was on that marketing craze too, and recently I'm completely off it. I probably shouldn't be, but there's too little time to handle all the insanity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can get very crazy, Crystal. I totally understand.

      Delete
  5. I'll take a huge chuck of that cake, please!!! I can relate to your sales, Angela. My short story collection died - only a few sales and then nothing. Luckily, my novel has already done better, after just a week. I hope the trend continues, but I have to do something to promote it.
    Take good care and keep sharing the cake - YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your chunk of cake. Have double :-)

      Glad things are going better with your novel.

      Delete
  6. Writing doesn't always mean publishing and marketing and selling books. It also means reading a lot and often, living life to the fullest and approaching everything with a creative, observant mind, along with an attention to fascinating detail. In other words, storing up for later when the words can flow. Being with your daughter is much more important than getting in the hours of writing and marketing. All the rest will come in its right time and order. I had to make these kinds of choices over and over again, and I have no regrets over choosing family over career. And I always found a way to write anyway, in journals or stories or somehow. Good luck with everything, Angela!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your words of encouragement. Sometimes, it feels like I'm failing if I'm not breaking my fingers marketing, twittering, posting and doing twenty other things. It is nice putting my daughter first and enjoying the writing moments as they come.

      Delete
  7. To write meaningful prose for me/to me. The rest of the writing life is a consequence. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a nice take on being an author.

      Delete
  8. I swear, marketing kills the writer soul.

    I feel like you do. I don't feel so much like an author, but I'm a unrepentant daydreamer, so I will always be writing, even if I'm not selling. My life. My rules. Besides, it's cheaper than therapy. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, totally get where you're at. And hells bells writing is waaaay cheaper than therapy, and it can be so cathartic.

      Keep at it your way :-)

      Delete
  9. You wanted to show your daughter the importance of going after her dreams. That's fine, but you're also showing her that being her mom, being the mom she deserves, is one of your dreams. It's good for her to see that, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this reminder, LD. It reaffirms some things for me. :-)

      Delete
  10. I keep up my blog (once a month), but I post rarely on Facebook and Twitter. Marketing has been rather non-existent for me since early 2016, and my sales, or lack thereof, show it. But you're still an author as you have published. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hear ya sister. Marketing is hard. And thankless. And often useless. One day we'll hit that magic spot and sell lots of books. In the meantime, you get to enjoy Dani and Molly. You are such a good role model. Your chipmunk sees you going for your dreams and I know she's proud of you. So the big payout hasn't happened yet. YET. Just keep on movin' forward. And give yourself a break! You deserve it. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to be my most difficult critic. Well, I'm sure that's true for lots of writers lol! I'm taking my time where I wasn't before and I look forward to when you and I both have that Yet become reality ((Hugs!))

      Delete
  12. I haven't written a book in several years, but I still consider myself an author. After all my books are out there, and so are yours.

    Life is a little like dancing, two steps forward, one step back. Just keep dancing until the music ends.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I sure do hear you. I've spent untold hours this week on social media as a new author (soon with Evernight Teen). Personally, I think family overrides all. You shouldn't feel guilty. There has to be a healthy balance!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.