Wednesday, September 6, 2017

IWSG and Your Writerly You

My blogger life has taken quite the hit during the last several months, but being a part of the monthly IWSG post has been a must. So here we are, first Wednesday of the month: sharing, congratulating consoling, considering what to do. Please stop by other posts and spread the love. Click here for links to other awesomeness.

Each month, you can write about whatever your writerly heart desires.
Or...
You can respond to the question of the month.

I'm going with the latter. So here goes:
Question: Have you ever surprised yourself with your writing? For example, by trying a new genre you didn't think you'd be comfortable in??

Actually, I did surprise myself. As most of you know, I write erotica. For those who don't know, just know that I write my grown and sexy mature works under a pen name.

However, I was not and still am not a Fifty Shades gal. I haven't watched the movies or read the books. But the subject matter entwined in the romance story was intriguing.

BDSM

What is it really and is it as Hollywood portray's it? So I researched. I spoke with people who lived the lifestyle. I learned to look beyond the media portrayal and look at the people. And I wrote. It was an interesting experience. I enjoyed having Degrees of Being Boss available. Maybe one day soon, I can republish it.

So what about you? Have you ever surprised your self with your writing?

10 comments:

  1. I have a friend who had a lot of succes with erotica early on. She used to tell me all these lurid stories about her research. Her publisher wanted her to go even darker and kinkier. She did but she didn't like it. After that she stopped writing completely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would have been fun research! I surprise myself all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's cool that you put yourself out there to research. And, it looks like it helped you write a story. Good luck with sales. I haven't read or watched Fifty Shades of Grey either. If I wanna see Jamie Dornan then I'll watch reruns of The Fall.

    http://yawattahosby.wordpress.com

    Keep smiling,
    Yawatta

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm glad i caught this post today! been too long, woman!
    also wanted to let you know, you are in my acknowledgments for DISPOSAL - i appreciated your perspective and input! it was a while ago, so you may not remember, but i do!
    thanks!
    Tara Tyler Talks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, you have really challenged yourself with your writing. Erotica and middle grade are SO very different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did read the 50 Shades books because my sisters pushed me to read them until I decided to do it so they'd shut up. haha They weren't for me...just didn't really care for the story or characters, but I have read a few other erotica books, and they can be entertaining. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to read them- yours and 50 shades- but only to grow as a writer ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't even get through the first page of 50 Shades, but I hear it didn't really depict true BDSM. I think it's good to write in different genres. It can help open our minds, and we may even find a new genre we love to write in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That would have been fun research! I surprise myself all the time.


    หนังออนไลน์

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me :-)
Comments are welcome.